Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:48:31 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Basic Fuel Mixture was Measuring oxygen sensor output...bad air
              flow meter? AFM question
Comments: To: Jbclem <jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi John,

Well, I read your post and thought I'd add a thought. One is that the complete formula for initial injector pulse goes by: the Temp II, the AFM, the hall output, distributor rpm signal-- BUT the ECU assumes the fuel pressure is right.

So where to start. We first lets make sure that your are talking about an engine that has completely warmed up, and your getting this reading at 3000 rpm or better on the road. At idle, the AFM spring tension is not the adjustment to lower or raiser mixture. The idle air bypass is the adjustment for idle level mixture, and should be set after the spring tension is finished.

The TEMP II in my opinion is a high failure item, and at $15 get replaced often, I get 8 months before I sense the thing is getting sloppy on cold starts. I prefer the VW brand as they seem to close loop faster from a cold start-up than the after market ones. No difference in my experience as to durability or accuracy. I also recommend adding the ground strap from the AFM to the head covered by service bulletin. BTW the service bulletins are full of suggestion for grounds and wiring harnesses to be in perfect condition.

To recondition my electrical connections I use Tarn-x clean the oxidation off of them. Fill a small spray Paint Cap sized container with the tarn-x, dip the connector into it, then rinse well. I then coat the connector with OX-Guard or other electrical grease designed to prevent oxidation.

If you haven't check the fuel pressure, it's also a possible failure point. I've; briefly Clamped the the fuel pressure regulators return hose, with a pair of needle nose pliers , while watching a gauges and let the pressure go to 60 -75 psi and let go. The book pressure is 29-36 psi; low with vacuum, high without vacuum applied. These are target values and I'd say the 7 lb range is more important than whether your high or low of the target But the pressure value should change with and without vacuum, and this may be your problem.

On the other hand, if all else fails, you can move the wiper arm on the afm back a little. I've moved mine back on the account I run a 50 psi basic fuel pressure for a little extra scat! Just look at where the wiper is when the van is idling. and then experiment from there. Good Idea to point a magic maker dot where it used to be for reference.

This is a start. I've written detailed versions of this brief overview the archives. Just look under my last name

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat