Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:44:22 -0600
From:         Simon <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Deep in the Abyss... a Tranny fill plug!

OK, so the engine and a lot of other stuff is now off the van, so I decided that having all this extra room to play in is the perfect opportunity to try to get the syncro's tranny fill plug out. Well, it's worse than I thought. The fill plug is stripped out so badly by the P.O. that my 17mm allen wrench is way too small. A 19mm bolt head just about fit, so I ground it down a hair and put two nuts on the other end. The nuts turn on the bolt. No matter how hard I tighten them together, they turn. The bolt head wants to pop out, anyway. That thing's really stripped. Can't get a Vise-Grips in there. It wouldn't matter, since there's no way I can try to turn the bolt-in-the-plug and apply leverage with a pry bar to keep the head IN the plug, anyway. Not enuff room in there to get the vise-grips or a pair of channel locks on the external part of the plug that sticks out past the case. Yes, I searched the archives. The best thing in there was the old tighten-then-loosen trick (duh! I shoulda thought of that!) It didn't work- the plug's too stripped. I've got a set of easy-outs... but there's really no room to aim the drill properly without dropping the main coolant lines.

What would YOU do?!?

On the plus side, an engine swap is a good time to strip out all of the talent-less wiring done by a P.O... at least the SWAP part of this swap is proceeding nicely...

-Simon '86 Syncro Westy

Random VW Stuff For Sale http://www.farrside.net/for_sale.htm