Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:56:15 -0400
From:         dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad Valve Issues/Question, Opinion sought.

This all started for me because of lack of power. I can get up to 65 or 70, but getting there from about 45 takes for ever. I read somewhere that a vanagon of our year would do 0-60 in about 22 seconds when new. I seem to make it up to about 45 in 15-20 seconds, and then forever to get to 60; like around another 20 or 30 seconds. I have had it up to about 75, but not beyond.

I travel (from ohio) to some property I own in virginia and have to cross the Allegany mountains. The van has a hell of a time in the mountains; much worse than my old 73 1800 cc bus and 4 cylinder jeep. I have to drop to 3rd almost immediatly upon encountering even the slightest mountain, unless I get up to above 65 ore so just prior. I just replaced the injectors and have not have time yetto test (need to get that tank leak fixed first!). I'll let you know the outcome.

My van has 82,000 miles on it. Uses about 1/2 quart oil on the trip to virginia through the mountains. Dont notice much oil usage on flat driving.

David

Jeff Strickrott wrote: > I think I have ruled out the leaking injectors, as to whether they pulse is > another matter or have a good spray pattern. I ran all the Bentley test but > pulling the injectors and looking at them. Everything tested ok. The shop > today was going to test the injectors, adjust the CO mixture and hopefully > shed some light on the hot start issue. > > When I tested the fuel pressure it was 36 psi when the vacuum hose > disconnected at the regulator (up to spec), and 29 when connected. When I > turned the engine off it stayed rock steady at 29 I believe. Cold start > manually removed and tested. > > When I get the car back this evening I will redo all the test, including > compression myself to see if I get the same results. I just don't believe them > that the valves are bad when I don't use any oil, compression seems fine, and > it does not feel like I am running on only two cylinders. > > By the way, when your vanagon is on the highway, what is you top speed on flat > ground (no tailwind/headwind)? I would image if I was not running correctly, > that I would notice a major difference. > > Regards, > --Jeff > 82 Westy > > > dr wrote: > > >>I am not sure how they determine that the valves are bad, by just >>disconnecting the plug wires. It could be the injectors in those 2 >>cylinders are bad. I just went through this myself, on my 82 air cooled. >> >>I didnt have the hot start problem you have, but I was just checking the >>plugs and injectors. Here is what I did- >> >>I disconnect each plug wire individually and the rpm would drop about >>500 for each. >> >>I then disconnected each injector plug, and got about the same results. >> >>I then removed each injector pair from the intake a side at a time, >>leaving the wire and fuel hose attached, placed a plastic peanutbutter >>jar (just happened to be a good size) under each injector. Disconnect >>the coil wire. Then ran the starter to watch the injector pattern. I >>found that one injector was barely emitting any fuel at all, and one was >>streaming out with fuel, even after shut off. >> >>My point is that even though I disconnect the plugs and injectors, and >>got an rpm drop; I had, in my opinion, 2 bad injectors. I never would >>have known this unless watching the spray pattern of the injectors. >> >>Your compression is better than mine; I have one cylinder at 98. The >>others around range 105 up to 120. Not real good, but it runs. >> >>For hot start problems, make sure your injectors are not leaking after >>you shut down (including your cold start injector - it shouldnt run at >>all at hot start), check your fuel pressure after you shut down, is it >>bleeding off? >> >>david >> > >