Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:42:32 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      $10 Westy Sink Faucet Modification

I, & my wife, have never really liked the Westy sink faucet. We find that we have to stoop to get dishes under the fixed faucet and the "switch" requires one of our two hands to operate.

I have NEVER used the shore hook-up to "mains" water so that can be eliminated - picture me tossing it over my shoulder. I also tried a 3 way toggle bilge switch (push left = stays on; push right = hold it on = release for off; center = off) but that did not work as I could not waterproof the switch (I put it where the faucet was & it shorted out after 1 week's wet use) and it also took one hand to activate it.

So, my wife and I discussed it, we discussed expensive fixes, but I'm cheap, so this is what I/we came up with:

If you like photos, you can cut this description short by visiting http://photos.yahoo.com/mwstebbins and clicking on the "Sink Faucet Mod" folder. These photos will not be there for long, so if you're reading this from the archives, these photos are no longer there, but you may send p-mail.

The objective was to have a shower-head/wand and to have both hands free. so I rigged up a longer hose and a foot peddle switch.

I removed the sink faucet. Removed the 2 hoses ( I plugged the shore-station hose), removed the electrical feeds.

I went to Canadian Tire (FLAPS) and purchased a 12 volt "Horn Button", and 2 different - smaller- clear plastic hose - similar to the water hoses under the sink. I had a piece of clear hose with a metal wrap on it from a water purification system that I no longer need and I used that too.

I had to step down the water hoses; I found hoses with the OD (outside diameter) equal to the ID of the westy hose. That was still too much water, so I did it again, OD to ID so that I now had 2 step- downs. I shoe-gooed these joints to prevent leaks and used hose clamps.

I found an old jam-jar lid and drilled 3 holes around the rim (as per the original faucet), and one large hole near the center, the same diameter as the final hose. I used the original faucet gasket under the jam-jar lid and the original 3 screws. I used automotive GOO as gasket material all-round everything. I had about 18 inches of hose sticking up through the jam-jar hole that could now be used as a flexible faucet. (I'd suggest a nice black plastic piece rather than the jam-jar lid, it'll look nicer.)

Next I wired up the foot pedal. We experimented with a movable pedal that sat flat on the floor. My wife was happy with this, but I didn't like the pedal being in a (slightly) different place all the time and having one more thing to do as we set-up and broke camp each day, so I decided to affix the "horn-button" to the front of the kitchen cabinet at toe level. So I ran some wire from the original electrical leads and ran them down and to the front of the kitchen cabinet about 4 inches back from the driver's side battery compartment and at floor level - just under the opening door under the sink drawer.

I drilled 2 holes for screws and one bigger hole for the wires, and the wired it up and affixed the foot-switch/peddle (was "horn switch"). This "Horn Button" is a "push and hold" type of switch, not a toggle switch.

DESIGN FLAWS:

No shore-station hook-up is possible; no big deal for a us.

A big drawback is that when the water switches to off, the water sucks back through the hose as gravity returns the water to the tank (I need to find a 'oneway' valve for this small hose). We have to be careful so as NOT to suck up dirty dish water as the water is repeatedly switched on and off. Also, during the day, we often just quickly rinse things and leave them - and the water - in the sink. So when we close the kitchen lid, the longer hose slops around in the dirty water.

Fixes: We are just careful NOT to let water get sucked up by the hose and, as for the "hose in the sink" problem, I put several hooks up on the top edge of the stove/sink/kitchen cover to hold the hose up out of the water when not in use or when we are driving.

As I said, the photos will not be there forever, so if you're interested, you'd better take a look. http://photos.yahoo.com/mwstebbins

We like this set up better than the original fixed faucet and I like it better than an expensive solution. Total cost was under CDN$10. I welcome any and all suggestions. Malcolm