Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:51:55 -0500
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Side tent observations

Well, yes, side tents are neat, and a real, German side tent is going to be an engineering masterpiece, just like our vans! I bought a German "house" tent in Germany in the '60's and used it camping all over Europe, and a big part of the USA before I ever had a bus or Vanagon. It was a little longer than the current side tent Busdepot sells, and had a sleeping room that could be put up or left stored.

Observations on the sleeping room section, were the following. You have a little privacy when changing clothes with kids in the rest of the tent. It's warmer at night. It keeps out the critters, and that can be very important. Once in Paris, about 6 in the morning, a kitten jumped up onto my wife's chest and stared down at her. When Barb opened her eyes, she was looking into the face of a huge, man eating tiger, or so it seemed at a distance of maybe 12 inches. As I recall, she made a female distress call. I was maybe 3' away and noticed that something was not just right there. After that we put up the sleeping room. We always carried a couple of folding cots that were quite comfortable. At that time, all this stuff was carried in the front trunk of a VW beetle.

Using a tent has advantages and disadvantages. Once in Venice, we got to the campground, signed in, and had supper and a bottle of wine at the campground restaurant. We had a real hard time, a REAL hard time, figuring out how to put up the tent in the dark, after that wine, but we didn't care too much either. Once in Spain, the thing almost blew away when a thunderstorm struck. On the other hand they are actually fairly roomy compared to the ~5 x 5 area in the middle of the Vanagon. On a rainy day, you need the space. Packing it up wet and hauling it around while it ferments is maybe not so great. A side tent is lots cheaper than a poptop van, and travelling in a non-poptop is quieter and more comfortable than a Westy. Kids like tents, and it adds to the adventure. They're colorful. It holds your spot when you've driven the van somewhere else. Etc.

Try one sometime, you'll like it.

Chuck Hill