Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:32:26 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AW: On I4 and TIICO Exhaust Fixes
Comments: To: warmerwagen@hotmail.com

In a message dated 9/30/02 1:50:07 PM, warmerwagen@hotmail.com writes:

<< I installed the rubber mounts and the resonating and rattling is gone.

The Diesel rubber muffler isolation mounts are not cheap, and prone to break. I am looking at a cheaper substitute, like radiator mounts. >>

Robert,

Very good post. Sorry I missed your earlier comment. I'm afraid I put that comment out without thoroughly reviewing all the relevant posts. Should have checked the archives!

The only thing I would add to your observations is that I have fabricated brackets that mount off the original diesel mounting points and let me use the heavy duty truck muffler hangers (I believe that they are 6 ply or layer fabric reinforced rubber). The hanging mount reduces the shear stress placed on the original diesel mounts by the gasoline motors. Remember too that the muffler temperature for the gasoline engine is at least 200 degrees F hotter than the NA diesel.

BTW, I indicated that the best way to quench noise and reduce exhaust temperatures at the muffler was to add a turbocharger to the system. Expanding the hot gases through the turbine reduces the temperature of the exiting gas and the turbine system breaks up the harsh pulse train coming from the 4 cylinder exhaust. While there are many different numbers out there, I recently had occasion to measure cat inlet temperatures on a '87 Porsche 944T and a '86 Porsche 944 NA. As I recall, the temperature difference was around 220 degrees cooler for the turbo. The baseline for the turbo was about 375 F. The effect would be larger for the Vanagon I4 configuration. I didn't measure the sound energy but without the muffler, the turbo was quite pleasant. Without the muffler, the 944 NA was deafening.

So, perhaps the best muffler would incorporate a junkyard turbo, compressor removed and with the shaft driving an alternator!

Frank Grunthaner