Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:57:42 -0700
From:         Mark Belanger <belanger@FLUID.COM>
Subject:      iWesty

Greetings all,

Being an engineer(and more importantly a geek), I've decided to drag my "new" '91 Westy into the 21st century. Some functional requirements, in no particular order include: DVD/CD/MP3 playback, VHF/FM/AM/XM tuning, navigation system, cell phone integration, mobile internet access and of course a burly alarm system to prevent it all from rolling away.

I know I could probably just fork over a ton of money and install something like an Alpine system, but that would be far too painless. As such, I've decided to build much of it myself. Still in the design phase, I'm having a few blockers and wonder if the collective brain has any good suggestions.

Design Goals: ------------- - Leave the appearance of the van largely intact. - Use a minimum amount of space. - Build a durable system.

Current thinking: ----------------- - Panasonic In-dash DVD/TV/CD/MP3/Tuner and/or - PC: Either Cappuchino, Panasonic Toughbook 07, or custom PC/104 - Internet: TracNet is far too expensive, so slow CDPD or GPRS it is - Navigation software: CoPilot - Speakers: not investigated - Alarm: not investigated, but one that can page my cell phone

Ideally, I'd love to just have a single PC handling all this, but finding a compact and reliable enough PC that has the power to handle DVD-playback on top of everything else is no small task. Additionally, I've not been able to find any in-dash retracting monitors that are capable of VGA input. For this reason, I'm leaning towards the in-dash solution provided I can use the display with a PC.

Some questions: --------------- 1. Has anyone installed an in-dash monitor in their van? Any problems?

2. Anyone hook up a PC to one of these small LCD panels? From what I can tell, the only options are RCA Composite video and RGB(what kind of connector is this?)

3. Has anyone successfully installed a PC in their van? Any issues with dust, heat or vibration?

4. Is anyone aware of any other mobile internet options. I think 28.8K access is the minimum I want to consider. Too bad I'm not in Europe or I could just go for HSCSD.

5. Is there anyplace near the front of the van, other than under the driver's set to install various behind the scenes components?

6. Are there any FAQs out there on regular stereo installation tips for the vans? For example, where to run wires, troublespots, etc.?

7. What's the story with Westys and theft? I assume they're not a highly stolen item, since they're so conspicuous. What about alarm system installs? Any suggestions around effective alarm use?

8. Lastly, anyone foolish enough to try to do something like this themselves?