Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:04:52 -0400
From:         Bob O Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turbo diesel motor in Vanagon

On 9/30/02 5:45 PM, "keather6@cox.net" <keather6@COX.NET> wrote:

> Volks, still ruminating over a replacement engine for my van, and got > a line on a 83 jetta turbo diesel salvage car. I've tried to find > out if that 1.6L TD is an easy bolt in or not to my 82 diesel > vanagon. one source says no, not without modifying/customizing > engine mounts, and the other source says yeah, no sweat, just drop it > in. whats the word? > > Kevin

The word is no, it won't just drop in.

The Jetta TD exhaust manifold points the turbo towards the front of the engine, placing the wastegate right were the driver's-side engine mount needs to be on the Vanagon.

The answer is the Quantum TD engine (or at least the exhaust manifold) which points the turbo towards the back of the engine, leaving room for the engine mount.

I posted a week or so ago that there was a Quantum TD head with mainfolds on eBay. The link is here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1859865307 and it looks like it didn't make reserve. I'd email the seller, if I were you.

The other problem is a bit more sticky. The boost enrichment aneroid on top of the TD fuel pump is a few inches too tall and interferes with the engine lid on a Vanagon. There are two unappealing solutions, and one elegant, but complicated one: 1. Put the NA pump on the diesel engine. It fits, and it runs, but you don't get the full benefit of the Turbo, as it will run lean on the boost. 2. Put a "Power Hump" in the engine lid, making for uncomfortable sleeping. Alternately, raise the engine lid, pretty much ruining the bed. 3. This is the route that I'm going: The 1.6 TD engine was a factory option on T3 transporters from 1979 to 1990. Its engine code is JX, and it came with a special boost enrichment mechanism that fits under the hood. I've got pictures from the side: http://homepage.mac.com/oshaughnessy/van/fuelpump1.jpg and from the top: http://homepage.mac.com/oshaughnessy/van/actuator.jpg

You'll also note that with the proper enrichment mechanism, you need proper injector lines to clear the mechanism.

I'm currently in search of a source in Europe for the correct parts, if anyone has a suggestion, or wants to help, let me know.

The other complications are a bit easier to tackle. You'll need to fabricate a custom exhaust and some sort of intake/air filter box. I'm probably going to go with tubing to a K&N filter up the side vent, although I've heard that that setup can be quite loud.

You also might want to start a search for the rare (in the US, dirt common in Europe) 5-speed manual transmission.

My Quantum engine is currently on the stand in my garage waiting for disassembly and cleaning/mild rebuild. The Westy sits behind my in-laws pole barn, waiting for me to pull the engine and mounts.

Let me know how your conversion goes.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 99 A3 Jetta TDI 82 Diesel Westy (with blown engine) + Quantum TD engine 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 95 Cat, 96 Cat, 98 Kid, 00 Kid, 01 Dog 25 House