Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:28:35 -0700
From:         The Old Volks Home <jimt@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 fuel filter fix and frustrations...
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

At 11:29 PM 9/28/02 -0400, The Bus Depot wrote: >> Now the other filter Andrew Fox was talking about, the Bosch 71028, the >> round metal cannister, that's installed AFTER the fuel pump. These were >> generally installed on every year of a gasoline powered Vanagon > > >I sell this under the Bosch number, 71028, for $9.95. > >However, my experience has not been the same as Jim's that almost every >gas-engined Vanagon has this metal filter. In fact most pre-1986 >non-California Vanagons I've seen have only had the plastic one. After >1986, I've seen some vans that had both filters and some that only had the >metal one. I usually tell people to take a peak under their van and see >which filter(s) they have before ordering a replacement, just to be sure. ***************************** That's 'cause I've been California most of my life ;-).....

Seriously, Ron may have a point here, however, I based my statement on my records going back about 10 years of what I sold on these for Federal vs California (itsa neat little feature plugged into my accounting/sales/inventory system I've used since 1989, now being used purely for reference reasons). Granted there have been a few Federal models grace my door, most had the the metal cannister filter (71028). Remember, I said most, not all. And VW dealers had a nasty habit of upgrading the filter system when brought in for maintenance and by the time the 2nd owner, 3rd owner, et al acquired the vehicle, nobody knows anything about what *may* have happened.

Ron's utilizes the best advice I've always given - peek (not peak) under the Vanagon and see what ya got before ordering from him or anywhere else. Ron's prices will invariably be lower most of the time, but the Wix, Fram and VW numbers (from the dealer) (which are higher priced,) were mentioned when you need a filter NOW and ya just can't wait. Buy 'em at the best price possible and stash an extra or two somewhere on the vehicle for the next maintenance job

For the record, mine is a California model, originally sold in Hemet in 1984.

JIm 84 Westy 2.1 "Ole Putt" 68 Beetle "Xavier" 73 Ghia Coupe "The Last Project" jimt@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net *********** **Need to find the right dizzy? Site Heavily Updated Sep 22, 2002! Now with Type 3 & Type 4 Dizzy Listings! http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm OR http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm **Upgrade your 83.5-85 Vanagon to 2.1 http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm ***********