Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:49:53 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update: Bad Valve Issues/Question, Opinion sought.
Comments: To: jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU

http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/shapingup.htm

Try this ............... Its my generic Fix All.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:20:24 -0400 Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU> writes: > Hi Again: > > Thanks for all the helpful input. Can't trust all that the shops > say. I > redid the compression check today with a better compression gauge > (old > one had a leaky valve) and observed the following: > > #1 130-140 psi, possibly carbon built up? > #2 120-125, 130 after 10 crank cycles, > #3 120-130 > #4 100-110, 115 after 10 crank cycles, 130 after I added some oil, > so > a leaking piston ring. > > What is a good way to reduce/remove carbon? > > I have no idea how the other shop was reading a 100 psi? Bad gauge, > poor > battery condition. They must be hurting for money to suggest that > the > heads needed to be redone. I had not received the total estimate, > but > they wanted at least $464 for new lifters (VW parts price, no labor) > and > given the cost of rebuilt heads (from Bus Depot), the shops labor > rate > $50 per hours, and $150 to RR the engine, I would guess somewhere in > the > neighborhood of $1000-$1200. For that amount it would be worth it to > get > a rebuilt long block from Bus Depot and put the engine in myself. > > Anyway, I readjusted the timing, it was off a little after I put in > the > new coil and wires. I did not think the new parts would affect the > timing, but anyway it is now at 7.5 BTDC. The vacuum improved a > little > and I am now at 15.2 inHG. Still not at the 16-19 inHg others > report. I > am awaiting the throttle body to air distributor gasket so maybe > that > will help. > > I am going to learn how to adjust the valves this week. Any > suggestions? > I think Stan Wilder had some thoughts on this and I will search the > archives. > > When I first started the car today to do the test, it sounded like > one > of the vales for cylinder #4 was sticking. After the engine warmed > up > this went away and now I do not hear it anymore. I am in the process > of > doing Stan's suggestion of running Marvel mystery oil through the > system > to help flush the crap out and hopefully this problem will go away. > > I also tested the fuel pressure after I let the hot engine sit. > Waited > about 15 minutes. The pressure was about 36 psi and holding steady, > so > it does not seem like the injectors are leaking. When I last > looked, > about 4 hours later, the fuel pressure was about 22-24 psi and > holding. > I will redo the shops leaking injector test later as I can't trust > any > of their reported results. > > I fixed most of the major leaks in the exhaust and of course > afterwards > found some more. For the time being I am just using exhaust epoxy > sealer. Once I have everything running well then I can dedicate > some > time to removing the old system. Backfiring all but disappeared. I > adjusted the fuel/air mixture by ear, but I will have to go to a > shop to > adjust the CO/HC mixture correctly. I have an O2 sensor (unheated) > but > placement at the rear of the exhaust does not heat it up enough for > an > accurate reading. In the new exhaust I will have the O2 sensor > mounted > before the cat and thus should better be able to tune the system. > > Tested the van on the road and now it has plenty of power. At 60 > mph, I > had plenty of peddle left to go faster. Did not time my > acceleration, > but will later to compare it to David's numbers. I will have to see > what > the gas mileage is? > > Regards, > --Jeff Strickrott > 82 Westy, South Florida > > Joel Walker wrote: > > > > I am curious why you say that it sounds like a car > > with 100k. Actually > > > the van only has 50k, it sat a lot at the owners > > house. The mileage has > > > never been tampered with thus maybe the engine was > > just never cared for. > > > It was an older couple who had the car. I have some > > of their repair > > > sheets, but not the whole collection. > > > > hmm. mostly cause of the compression being down to 100. > > it should be up to like 130-140 for only 50,000 miles. > > or so my fading memory tells me. you might really want > > to check the valve adjustment on it. > > > > > The exhaust has the EGR pipe hole and a crack along > > the crossover. I > > > have a complete exhaust system to replace it with but > > have not started > > > with putting penetrating oil on it to start the > > removal process yet. > > > > those could easily help the backfiring situation. it > > might even be NOT a 'backfire' but just an exhaust > > pulse 'burp' out the crack in the crossover or the > > hole. when you decelerate, you disturb the pulse > > pattern in the exhaust, and you could get some sort of > > combination that burps or farts out the hole and make a > > loud noise, whereas normally, with the pulses all in > > sync with each other, the noise of the leak is subdued. > > i don't know all the wherefores and such, but i know > > that a correctly tuned exhaust will gain power and a > > badly tuned exhaust will lose power ... all due to the > > pulses (from the cylinders) in the exhaust. probably > > best to get the exhaust fixed and then see if you still > > have the noise. > > > > but get the valves adjusted anyway. ;) > > > > good luck! > > joel > >