Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:48:56 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [FIX] Instrument Housing Repair
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

In a message dated 9/29/02 7:55:12 PM, wilden1@JUNO.COM writes:

<< I've repaired a bunch of these housings. I use JB Weld. Remove all instruments, build little dams from clear packaging tape around broken out corners (inside and out) , or on the flat mount to the dash area that previously had a screw hole in it. You are in effect casting new material onto the existing housing. About the only trick is to get the instrument housing very clean and roughen the areas to be repaired with sandpaper to get a good bond. Using a toothpick you can see through the package sealing tape and push the JB Weld mix down into every crevasses, don't be shy about extra build on the outside corners. >>

I too have done many of these with JB Weld including reworking Vanagon instrument clusters to more closely resemble Jetta GL units for the addition of the Multifunction Display. But one more tip to add. I've never had to drill holes and I always use machine screws for tying down instruments, clocks and foil. I just coat the screws with WD40 before screwing them into the epoxy filled screw holes. When the epoxy has set, they are readily removed as the WD40 acts as a release agent keeping the epoxy from bonding to the metal surface.

Frank Grunthaner