Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 02:13:39 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On I4 and TIICO Exhaust Fixes

There have been a number of posts recently about the problems of 1) exhaust components breaking, 2) excessive vibration attributed to the exhaust system and 3) excessive noise related to same. For the details of some of the following arguments, observations and speculations, see the archives as I have offered much of this material before.

Once again, I see brute force offered as the solution (weld everything up tight). Again, the rubber isolators of the VW mount system are attacked as a part of the problem. Gentlemen, you can weld it up solid and everything will be fine until the metal reaches the yield point and some part will break! There are several key factors at work here:

1. Different thermal expansion rates! The block is cast iron, the head is Aluminum as is the oil pan, the exhaust manifold is cast iron (but a different formulation than the block), the headers are probably mild steel tubing as are most muffler and catalyst casings. Of course, a high class system will have substantial stainless content which maximizes the expansion rate difference with the rest of the components. Because of these basic properties, the different components expand and contract as a function of temperature. While the head/block/oil pan are generally within a few hundred degrees of one another, the exhaust system components can easily exceed 1000 degrees. The temperature of exhaust components depends on engine load, timing, fuel mixture and valve timing (and many other things) and can range from 350 F when idling to more than 1200 F at full load.

2. Heat, heat and more heat. The typical automotive exhaust has a significant length of tubing before the exhaust gas sees the outside world. Larger cross-section tubing leads to lower gas velocities than smaller. Most I4 conversions use larger cross-section tubing than the standard GJ stock approach. Lower exhaust velocities and higher header temperatures. Depending on timing, mixture and valve overlap it is not uncommon to find stainless and mild steel components severely thermally embrittled and full of stress cracks. The rattling sounds associated with many of these conversions are often internal baffles pulverized by heat stress and no longer connected to the inside of the muffler case. With improper timing, one can readily see the exhaust system (often at the entrance to the muffler) glowing read during normal operation.

3. Sound dissipation requires length. Larger the cross-section, the longer the length needed to smooth out the acoustic pressure waves. The muffler, resonator and exhaust tube all interact to mix and scatter the pressure waves coming from the exhaust. So to eliminate the noise, add length and scattering chambers. The SA approach is correct. To quiet down the I4 pressure wave, run it forward of the engine at least to the central area of the vanagon. Then cross to the other side and run it out the back. The resonances will be below 300 Hz. This approach will cool and quench the exhaust gases giving much improved muffler lifetime. If you insist on going tight and short, use long mufflers with significant internal pathlength and use two or a resonator and a muffler. But be prepared to burn the exhaust piping or the muffler packing and partitions because of excessive gas temperature.

Now the engineering response to points one and two, heat and differential thermal expansion, is to add compliance. This typically means a welded metal bellows with wire mesh external protection. Now there are some danger points here. All welded metal bellows are thinner than standard steel pipe. This means fragility to puncture and to heat. They will burn through more readily. The corrugated surface also provides more efficient thermal uptake from the exhaust. These components can handle compression, expansion and deflection perpendicular to the central axis of the bellows. They cannot handle torsional forces. There are three types of welded metal or formed bellows available to the general consumer - mild steel, stainless steel and inconel. In VW's solution to this problem for the GJ series, they used either a slip ball joint at the exhaust manifold flange, or a bellows assembly. Their bellows assembly is made of inconel to handle the temperature stress as well as residual vibrational stress. I venture that the local muffler shop only supplied mild steel flex couplings. My advice - use flex couplings in the system, preferably with the dual port manifold and the VW bellows.

The issue of vibration remains. The VW mount for the I4 diesel was specifically engineered for compliance (muffler free to follow the expansion forces) through rubber mounts. The rubber mounts are also passive vibration isolators tuned to keep the muffler mass from resonating with the active vibration modes of the engine. The mass, length and temperature of the I4 gasoline exhaust systems exceed the limits of the VW design. In my conversion, I have reverted to heavy duty truck grade exhaust system hangers. I use one on each side of the muffler/resonator (I use both muffler and resonator until I substitute in the turbo Audi 3A motor). This provides support, passive dampening and enables free muffler motion. The hanger approach effectively supports the base weight of the system removing that stress from the rest of the components.

Now the level of vibration coming from the I4 can be influenced by any and all resonant amplifiers in the system. An improperly supported exhaust system can add to the vibration power. A properly designed one can dampen out system vibration modes. The support of the muffler and the support points are important. You can establish if your system is inadequately supported or if there are resonant nodes from poorly placed supports by holding a heavy screwdriver against pipe, muffler or cat and noting the vibration change. Moving the hanger clasping point to the center of mass of the exhaust and keeping a second point a few inches from the end should resolve all exhaust related issues.

In summary, let the exhaust system move, add one bellows with hanging muffler supports and make the thing as long as possible. If high temperature exhaust system paint burns off, your system is running hot and will fail. If you bolt and weld it up tight (no rubber supports) you will fix the problem for 6 months before something else breaks, With Vanagonitis luck, we can only assume it will be expensive. So, want long muffler life, less than 30 dB muffler noise with quick engine response --- mount a turbo!

With apologies for length,

Frank Grunthaner