Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:22:36 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG>
Subject:      Re: On I4 Engine Vibration
Comments: To: Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Myron Lind wrote:

> Jason, it has been suggested, properly I believe, that the TIICO motor > mount/engine carrier needs to be welded, not suspended on rubber bushings. > As it comes, it can float between the frame of the van and the engine. This > is because is has rubber mounts at both the engine and at the frame of the > van, allowing it to move independently from both the engine and the van. So > damping might not (probably isn't) even be part of this picture.

My '82 diesel has this setup, too. The bearer bars are on rubber bushings and then the engine is tied to them with rubber bushings as well. I've heard the bushings between the bearer bars and the body were omitted in the '83 model.

All those rubber bushings can be a pain if you have to remove an engine mount. (Necessary, for example, to take off the diesel's exhaust manifold.) You put a jack under the engine to support it and unbolt the mount -- no problem. But when you go to put it back in, you discover it doesn't fit! With the weight off the bushings, the bearer bar has raised itself up. You have to jack the engine up another inch or two to get everything to fit back together. This caused me a bit of head-scratching. It's a slightly disturbing moment when you try to put a critical structural piece in and can't get it to fit back where it's supposed to. ;)

_ _ __ _ _ _| | | | David M. Brodbeck (N8SRE) Ypsilanti, MI / _` | | | | | | +----------------------------------------------------- | (_| | |_| | | | @ cyberspace.org \__, |\__,_|_|_| "To accept selfishness as an all-purpose excuse for |___/ mistreating others is to reject the whole idea of right and wrong." -- Richard Stallman