Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:09:28 -0700
From:         The Old Volks Home <jimt@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 fuel filter fix and frustrations...
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>
Comments: cc: Andrew Fox <afox@cnr.colostate.edu>

At 10:17 AM 9/30/02 -0400, Kenneth Wilford wrote: >I bow to the wisdom of Ron and Jim, however I think they are both as >confused as I was with this issue. I sent Andrew the filter that everyone >is quick to say is the proper one. 133 133 511. I always have these in >stock as well and they work on most '80-84 Vanagons (again it is best to >look under there to see what you have before you order as VW did some wierd >stuff). Anyway I think the problem that I had and that you folks are having >that is causing the confusion is that when you hear the description "square >fuel filter" you are automatically assuming (as I did) that Andrew is >talking about the 133 133 511 filter. However he is not. On some '86 and >'87 Vanagons VW put on a square looking filter before the fuel pump that has >the same sized inlet and outlet. If you check the ETKA you will see this >filter but when you click on it, the screen says "no longer available" and >tells you to replace this filter with a piece of hose. ********************************* That's because Illustration 32-20 in ETKA is for CARBURETED Vanagons (usually sold in Europe), they just don't say so. Look at Illustration 32-30 (the next one over) and you'll see the FI layout in all it's glory. But again, the problem is that they say the 133 133 511 is "Discontinued, use N020 300 1 Hose 390mm long" (this is 11mm ID). However, the way they're showing this in the diagram and text portion makes it incorrect because the tank outlet is 8mm (for 7mm hose)! They totally ignore that you have to have a 185mm long piece of 7mm hose, then leave that $42 adaptor out entirely. If I was a greenhorn at the VW Dealer Parts Counter and I was looking at the diagram, I'd sell that piece of hose it shows that WON"T fit the gas tank properly. I don't care how much you clamp it, an 11mm ID hose just won't seal on an 8mm fitting. *********************************** So you have two ways >to go with this problem. You can do what VW says and replace this filter >with a piece of hose, or you can take the old filter around with you to >NAPA, Advance Auto, etc. until you can find something that might work. But >then you have to ask yourself why VW discontinued the filter before the >pump? There was probably a reason. ****************************** They discontinued using that filter probably for the speculative reason I gave in my previous post - Bosch & Pierburg introduced an improved pump with a screen in the inlet sometime in the mid 80s. But I don't totally trust that and I imagine several others out there would be of that opinion. ****************************** BTW, if you need to get a FI square type filter with 8mm inlet/outlets, use Bosch 0450 901 003 (VW 311-133-511D, Wix 33198, Fram G4164), these were used on all Type 3 FI and Type 4 FI and I believe 74 Calif Type 2 FI (I gotta check that one). I have never seen nor heard of a Vanagon using 8mm inlet/outlets, because how would it connect to the 11mm inlet on the fuel pump? As I stated before rotary vane fuel pumps with 8mm inlet/outlets were produced by Bosch (and Pierburg I imagine, even Walbro maybe)(perhaps for other VW, BMW or Porsche applications), but were not originally used on 75-79 Beetles, 75-79 Buses & 80-91 Vanagons. HOWEVER, considering the "jerry rigging" nature of some VW Owners and/or Mechanics to save a buck or get someone down the road, I wouldn't be at all surprised to encounter that.

Hope this helps you and others :-)

JIm 84 Westy 2.1 "Ole Putt" 68 Beetle "Xavier" 73 Ghia Coupe "Denise" jimt@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net *********** **Need to find the right dizzy? Site Heavily Updated Sep 22, 2002! Now with Type 3 & Type 4 Dizzy Listings! http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm OR http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm **Upgrade your 83.5-85 Vanagon to 2.1 http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm ***********