Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:23:54 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On Westfalia Air Conditioning

There have been several exchanges on AC in Westys including the advisability of a front mount solo unit, a front supplement to the standard rear and mods to the rear unit for effectiveness. Others have asked about the difficulty of adding an AC to an existing non-AC vehicle. The answer was too much work. Well, I agree and disagree.

Any project of this order is more challenging than replacing the rims, but probably on the same order as redoing the interior paneling and acoustically insulating the vehicle. With the number of miles on my carcass, its hard to truly estimate time anymore. Nonetheless, it didn't seem all that big a deal to me.

My approach has been detailed in the archives and pictures of the installation are on Alistair Bell's website. I mounted the stock Vanagon AC system from an '85 passenger van. I moved the evaporator a little closer to the front cabin, modified a few lengths of duct, put the control unit in the stock position, ran the hoses up the inside of the refrigerator cabinet and made a shelf to cover the back of the unit in the poptop opening. I made a poptop latch extension to access the lever and freely gave up 10 inches of open space. The condenser mounted easily in front of the radiator, and my 90 8V 1.8L Digifant GTi engine came with AC compressor in place. I had Hoseman make new hoses for the connection from compressor to evaporator and replaced the dryer. The components were all removed for me by Russ's Recycling and set me back $300. Add hoses and the AC professional pumpout and recharge, I'm into the system around $450 to $500.

Good money, well spent. I can frost my brow, freeze out the wife or cool the rear passengers whether I'm cruising the central valley of CA at 75 on a 105 degree day, or pushing across the A* end of the Universe (El Paso to San Antonio, TX) at 80 and 110. She never overheats, and the interior is kept as comfortable as I please. Of course, the need to add an AC was the key reason for doing the conversion in the first place.

Oh yeh, I'm driving with the original diesel transmission that general wisdom here says simply must be replaced. Nonetheless, more than 100K miles, many years and never a breakdown due to engine or AC.

Frqank Grunthaner