Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:04:03 -0700
From:         DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Self-tapping screw size for headlight assy?

>Does anyone have any clever prevention techniques? I have our Westy >garaged, but this could happen at night while shopping or while biking away >from the campsite.

-=-=-=-

I'm considering drilling the heads of the screws such that they won't hold a screwdriver. Maybe not all of them -- just a couple, so the thief will get stopped in the middle of his "removal". I'll have to drill out those screws when *I* want to remove the grille, but that's pretty simple.

You could use a couple of "security" screws, like those you see on the public restroom hardware -- screw in but can't unscrew.

Or drill out a couple of the holes in the sheet metal where the screws go and use machine screws and nylon locking nuts on the back that are a bit difficult to access -- again, just a couple will do. When they turn the screw, it just turns the nut. Can't remove the screw unless you've got special (ie, 90-degree needle-nose) pliers.

Or install a "leash", a small crimped steel cable that attaches the grille to the body. Be sure that you attach to the grille at a beefy area of the plastic, and that the cable snakes back into the recess of the radiator area, or such, so that removing the other end of the leash is not a simple task.

Or spray paint some large stenciled letters on the front of the grille, like "This Grille Is Stolen". But then you'd get stopped several times a day by your own local Men In Blue.

All these are a bit of a hassle for the owner when the grille needs to be removed, but what's the alternative?

Anything to slow them down. If the thief finds that he's on his knees too long, fiddling with some darned fool screw, he's not going to complete the "job". Or if he has to break the grille in order to get it, he may reconsider his options.

Dave -- Dave Carpenter

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke