Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:49:18 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Some Clarifications and Additional Cooling System Comments

Just a few additional notes.

On the radiator capacity, I just looked at Ken Wilfy's post on the dimensions of the Aluminum and Copper radiators he is selling. Assuming the width of the cores is the same the core volume of the Aluminum radiator works out to 633 cubic inches while the copper radiator comes in at 702. Given the superior thermal characteristics of the copper and that the additional 15 pound weight at the very front of the van could help offset the rearward bias, get the copper ones!

Secondly, remember that the efficiency of heat rejection at the radiator is a strong function of the mass flow of the exchanging fluid (air). Or said more simply, you all know that (at least the diesel based system) has two fan speeds - mild roar and local tornado. That fan is all part of the capacity calculation, although the SAE work from whence this derives pertains to single speed electrics or shaft driven mechanicals. So, nothing wrong with fan switching on. I have not yet seen the situation in which the second fan speed cannot control any thermal situation. Of course, I don't have a exhaust gas injector in my model.

Reserve capacity. This is a bit more problematical. My first response is that the high speed stage of the fan represents reserve capacity. Others have suggested that there is no system reserve if the thermostat is fully open and the system temperature (coolant) is varying with load (both the engine and the external environment - like the high density sulfur dioxide vapors I encounter when I motor past certain spots in Texas near the A* end of the Earth!). First understand that these systems are not designed for constant temperature operation. I have asked why not and the particular Porsche engineer I was conversing with said "Why?". We went around for several cycles before he dismissed my question as irrational. We met some years later in Atlanta (he was now attached to the Audi Motorsports team) and he immediately commented that they were designing constant temperature systems for the racing cars and that they would soon be seen in high end direct injection machines.

But I get ahead of myself. Variation of temperature is fine probably from the true 92 C control point of the thermostat up to the 105 C reasonable mean limit. the problems occurs when the full system capacity is exceeded (of course). With the vanagon system, I would say that if it was functioning correctly (clean radiator, no air, good pump, smooth - not hairy-inner hose walls, clean thermostat) then the system is being called upon to dump something like the thermal equivalent of 130 hp (5500 BTU per minute or 75 kilowatts). This suggests that a) the engine output is near 400 Hp or b) that the engine is extremely thermally inefficient.

More likely, the system is not functioning correctly. I have treated several of these issues in the archives and strongly counseled the addition of a coolant pressure meter for diagnosis. But go to the most likely problem: AIR IN THE SYSTEM. Because of the system design, there are several areas in the en gine to trap air as well in the radiator area. Trapped air, cavitation and local hot spots in the head all go together. Careful bleeding is essential. Water Wetter works and will offer further reserves. Weak and collapsible hoses at the water pump inlet can cause cavitation. Air pockets or air mixed in the coolant are equally bad. Remember a small air leak at say the heater core can be small enough for you to not notice liquid coolant - but still inject a stunning amount of air into your system over days and weeks.

Next possibility is the clogged radiator. Previously cursed PO could have succumbed to the siren call of Aluminoseal or BarsLeaks in the middle of a torrential rainstorm in the Gobi desert. These systems clog transfer tubes. Think cholesterol! and holding tanks (ouch, memories). Another insidious problem can result from oil in the coolant (oil cooler failure) coating the interior surfaces of the radiator. Knocks the hell out of heat transfer efficiency.

The other set of problems go back to the engine. For new conversion problems, map the pressure and head at the water pump to search for cavitation. Did you change the pulley ratios? But then, more obviously, is the ignition and valve timing truly on. late timing (both ignition and valve) can give very high engine thermal loads as well as poor operating efficiency. Often poor fuel economy, lack of power and high head temperatures are link together as symptoms.

OK, I'm out of verbs on this one, except to recount: 1. The base Vanagon cooling system is well engineered and up to any powerplant/AC combination that you can get to work with the weak link transmission. 2. the engine cooling system (WBXer and around the block) is not included here except for pump capacity. 3. Thermal problems obviously can and do exist. YMMV! 4. Air in the system is the worst culprit. It can lead to other problems ... overheating, then bye bye head gaskets, cooling passage cracks, etc. 5. Simple stop leak solutions, even if they work in the short time, will reduce system capacity. 6. I started this thing years ago as I was about to switch to the Evans Cooling System (pure propylene glycol). Still think its the best and I'll go there if the trans can handle the power.

Frank Grunthaner