Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 04:56:03 EDT
From:         Tim Fong <FONGBALL@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone install a Generator?

Others may be similar, but the big selling point for me was the Honda EU1000IA2 only weighs only 29 pounds dry. I couldn't find a 1000 watt max./900 watt continuous generator that was that light at any price. Alamia.com sells these for $620.00 which includes shipping.

For times I require more than 1000/900 watts, I also picked up the EU2000I. It's kinda nice to have the power of a typical household outlet available so you don't have to worry about what load your device may be rated at.

As far as actually trying to install a permanent type generator in a vanagon, it would very difficult to say the least.

First, the smallest RV type generator weighs 125 pounds. Second, it's dimensions are 24"Lx12"Wx16"H (big footprint). Where would you mount this beast? Keep in mind that this is for a generator that's rated at 2800 watts. Are you sure you need to have 23 amps AC on tap? One other thing, it costs over $2,000.00 uninstalled.

If you only have a need for 2000/1600 watt capacity, the Honda E2000 might be a nice fit. It only weighs 46 pound dry and is only 20"Lx10"Wx17"H

If 1000/900watts is all you need, the E1000 is tough to beat. It's only 17"Lx9"Wx14"H.

I could see how you would to like to have a RV style generator. We have a 4000 watt/200 pound unit in our motorhome and they are nice, especially the remote electric start feature and it draws off a 80 gallon gas tank, but our motorhome is 28 feet long, 12 feet high, 7 feet wide, and has a GVW of 15,000 pounds.

Anyway, if still need to install a RV style generator in your Vanagon, Good Luck and post pictures!

Peace, Tim '87 Syncro Westy