Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:41:49 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Radio interferance and Intermittant Power Loss

Steve,

To my way of thinking the issue of intermittent power loss comes from several sources of possibility as your efforts to solve it point out. I have concluded that what ever the trigger is, the logic loop seem to be,

false or contaminated signal to the ECU, then the ECU tries unsuccessfully to recover, and then loss of power.

I focus on the uniqueness of the vanagon to help with difficult problem solving. For example the Vanagon OEM spark plug wires are actually copper strand wire, and I suspect generate a great deal of radio noise which can contaminate a signal to the ECU if the shielding is failing. Wire core spark plug wires are unique, not unheard of, but rare in a passenger vehicle. In this case of loss of power, the archives and service bulletin often deal with good grounds and electronic buffers to alleviated the loss of power syndrome.

So, the basic prescription is to make sure all grounds and wire routes and wire shielding are excellent condition. In working for a busy automotive repair shop, I routinely encountered one or two bad spark plug wires, we just replaced the bad wire, not a complete set, unless the shielding was obviously y near death. I also routinely encountered wire looms that zip tied spark plug wires in bundles, cinched tight to metal grounds and etc. If you wire loom needs attention, now is a good time to straighten out the routing and fastening of wires. Pick up a generic spark plug wire loom set, plastic thingys that hold 1, 2, or more spark plug wires apart. Attach the plastic thingy As a general rule of thumb vacuum hose, ac hose, and wire harness are good points for

attaching. Ensure that the Spark plug wire only contacts the loom, or a rubber hose as it winds it' way from the distributor to the spark plug. You may have to slightly rotate the plug or distributor end so that the cable avoids contact with a metal or electrical wire. This is tedious but worth the effort.

According to intermittent loss of power service bulletin, An additional

ground strap, NAPA 18" & $4, is to be attached to the AFM and the engine

block. Concurrently, you can purchased a new set of wires, mainly for the shielding, for $$$. Alternatively, NAPA sells Belden brand copper strand spark plug wire by the foot, cheap. The OEM Spark plug wire terminals were available at the dealer my last plug wire rebuilt 2 yrs ago, and cheap too. Just make sure that you get the correct terminal for

the spark plug boot. There's more, but just search the archives under my

name for the complete test and rebuild of spark plug wires.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat