Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:46:58 -0400
From:         dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled ?s here for my 81 Westy

I am one of the participants in the performance thread. I just replaced my injectors and my 82 aircooled now does 0-60 in about 32 sec. Before the injectors, mine did similar to yours; it seemed to take forever to get from 40/45 up to 60. My 4th gear seems to be like yours; seems to be a big ratio difference between 3rd and 4th; I think its just that way and nothing is wrong with or different about your 4th gear. I still dont have much high-end torque to speak of.

I would be concerned about the oil usage along with the lack of power and do a compression test. did your performance go down along with the oil consumption, or did it have decent power after it was rebuit?

david

Sean Garrett wrote: > 2 things I have noticed about my van lately > > 1. I followed the thread about poor performance in a 82 air-cooled and > noticed that several folks chimed in about 0-60 mph in 30 seconds. I have > tried that with my Westy and it (at best) can go from 0-50 in 30 seconds. > However as soon as I drop into 4th gear it takes another additional 30 > seconds to get up to 60. I just have no high end torque like some others > have said they have (Bulley and another listee in Florida). > > My engine has been professionally rebuilt at a reliable shop 7k ago. Has new > Fuel Injectors and ignition. I also consider that my tranny may have a > different 4th gear in it. I did not have the tranny examined when I rebuilt > the engine. > > 2. With my newly rebuilt AC 2.0L stock motor I have recently noticed at > about 500-700 miles I have to put in 1/4-1/2 quart of oil. Before it turned > over 5-6 k mile it was not eating any oil at all. I don't see any leaks > under the engine. > > Could I be the victim of cheap rings on the rebuild ? > > Any thoughts appreciated > > Sean Garrett > 1981 Westy (his) > 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) > sean.garrett@asu.edu