Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:36:57 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Does a worn pressure relief valve cause Oil pressure buzzer?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@attbi.com>

Stuart,

Thanks for the info. Is the relief valve cylindrical or spherical? My thoughts were that a cylindrical valve with wear could flutter stick or operate slower when the bore was heat expanded OR a spherical type could have bad seat or crack seat, or a wear deformity in the ball surface.

I hadn't considered a broken helical spring, but a weak helical spring, and thin oil at high temps and wear could be an issue. If I turn the key off and immediately on the issue does not repeat usually. The last time thought it triggered several times. What I'm not telling you though is I have a Gulf Coast submicronic filter which taps via a TEE to the blue sensor pressurized port between the push rod tubes. On occasion, and this is one, the filter element, toilet paper will not be dimensionally as large as other TP rolls. Scott 1000 single ply is the recommended media-- but seems unavailable here. I'm using Scott 500 two ply, but there is a difference in the paper. My suspicion is that while this filter system isn't the total culprit, it adds it bit of pressure loss.

Also has David just pointed out to me, overfilling exacerbates the heat issue. I'm currently overfilled, as I mentioned the sub micronic canister, at times getting the oil level is extremely tedious and I just let stay high level and burn off. So I'm sure the engine was on the high end of the temperature scale when I did a 5 minute mountain climb at max power of 4400 rpm , second gear in the automatic with the van carrying 1500 lbs of payload. Just after crested the top and let off and the engine rpm dropped to 3200 and 3rd gear then I got the buzzer. Key off then on, and no more alarms until an hour later.

However, I believe I read from David Beierl, that the circuit is designed with slope sensing, i.e. if a drop or increase is of such a velocity that the tolerance would be exceeded, then the circuit arms. So the circuit could easily "jump the Gun" if a slow pressure valve or sudden drop in rpm causes a quick drop in oil pressure.

I did note in your post that the High pressure sender port is upstream of everything, so a fluctuation at that point could come from the pump or something downstream letting the pressure out. Is the oil pressure relief valve just downstream from the .9 bar sender or just before it?

Also you mention the removal and replacement needing a special tool. Is this a KD or Liesle, or a VW source. Looks like this cover plate plate on my engine, near the dip stick entry is weeping oil as well.

I think the real issue seems to be that a mass market synthetic like MOBIL 1 is not the best choice given high time motors and the thermal expansion of the alloy case. I've used REDLINE and it seems thicker, at room temp, I wonder if really we should just avoid the mass market synthetic and stay with a premium synthetic , especially for an over 100k engine. Mine uses no oil, is strong and has virtually rock steady 13.5" vacuum at idle. I have "vaporized" oil consumption with the thinner synthetics .