Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:58:40 -0400
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled Westy 0-60

I wouldn't call it an "issue". The 2.0 has the smallest valves of any Type 4 (including 1.7/1.8) to increase combustion chamber swirl, thus to increase low-end torque without bulging over 2.0 liters (taxation thing in Europe).

The trade off is flat upper end, since the van can't breathe. If you are really bugged by it, a #71 Web (hydraulic) cam, fat valves and some porting work can clear it up, but you loose low end unless you stroke the motor to at least 74mm, better to 76mm 0r 78mm.

For me, this is the same performance I've always seen in 2.0 liter Type 4 so I'm not concerned. It will roll at 75-80 mph all day without complaint, once you get it there. I can wait for a few years for that 94 x 78.

Bringing your ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278