Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:04:42 +0100
From:         Jamie Bowen <jamie.bowen@ORCHESTRIA.COM>
Subject:      '89 2.1i digifant cutting out. Really need some help on this
              one...

The vans in a right state!

Over the last week, the van has started cutting out. It used to sometimes die when pulling away from a stop, but now it quite clearly cuts out and then catches again at varying speeds. When I say cut out, I mean cut out. It's like the ignition has been turned off, and then comes back (usually in about a second). If the revs are low, such as when I pull away at a nasty juction this can cause it to die. This morning at at tick over the engine just cut and stopped twice.

Nobby is my daily runner, and as this is getting worse, I'm starting to worry. It's already dangerous.

History;

Couple of weeks ago I checked and reset the timing. For a couple of days, no cutting out at all and better, smoother running. Also checked the resistance values coming out of the Throttle Position Switch. All OK.

Last Sunday afternoon the van refused to start. I could hear the fuel pump or something going, so there was power in the engine bay region, but not so much as a clunk from the solenoid/starter. Got a lift with my sister, and when we got back 3 hours later, it started first time.

On Sunday eveining, I jump started a car from the van using the battery nearest my engine. The engine was not running at this point. I think this is the leisure battery. I have another under my drivers seat.

Monday the van started playing up more. Tuesday was worrying. Wednesday, Thursday and Today were horrendous.

I have tryed wiggling my keys while driving (to see if it is the ignition switch), but that had no effect. I have wiggled various wires in the engine bay all to no effect (she cut out while I was scratching my chin after a five minute wiggling session).

I have looked roughly at the inlet manifolds, which all seem to be in good condition.

Anyone got any ideas? The next thing I am going to have a look at is the Hall Sensor on the distributor, but I would welcome any tips/advice on anything else that may be causing these problems....

Jamie. '89 2.1i digifant (Nobby).