Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:22:54 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: busdepot and thepartsbin going nose to nose
Comments: cc: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

> I ordered two rear heater cores from busdepot. > I like the people at busdepot and Ron is a > valuable listmember... > > It took three weeks to get the cores...Heater valves > cost much less from thepartsbin, but they were > higher on the headlight switch than busdepot... > I would suggest wisely shopping with both.

Thanks for your comments and your kind words. I'm quite relieved to be able to say "not my fault" regarding your heater cores taking three weeks to arrive. (Whew! :-) I checked the postmark in our mail log book, and we sent them via Priority Mail within two days of receiving your order! (In fact it would have been one day if it hadn't been the same week as Labor Day - we were a day behind that week due to the short work week.) Priority Mail claims about 2-3 days for delivery (which is faster coast-to-coast than UPS), so by all rights you should have had your order coast-to-coast in about 5 days, had the mail run on time. Of course, as they say, hindsight is 20/20...

The reason we usually ship heater cores via Priority Mail (besides faster average delivery speed if going coast to coast) is that we've found the postal service to be more gentle than UPS with fragile items. Your cores may have arrived late in this case, but at least they arrived intact! That said, you do have the option to specify UPS instead when you place an order (in the "comments" section of the order form), rather than letting us choose whichever carrier makes more sense. Of course, this is not always to your advantage (the higher damage rate on fragile items being one case in point). Also, next-day air, second-day, three-day, and Express Mail (365-day-a-year service) are available at additional cost. Finally, we will email tracking numbers upon request; while we don't do it automatically, if you send an email to sales@busdepot.com Cheri can email you back with a tracking number (if one exists; the post office doesn't use them).

Regarding the heater valve, we ship an actual VW brand valve obtained from the dealer, whereas Parts Bin's is from an aftermarket supplier. This is not to say that ours is necessarily better (for all I know they might be identical), but it does mean that we pay more. :-( Your comments have prompted me to put out some feelers as to who is making their valve; perhaps this will result in a lower price at the Depot if I can find like quality at a lower price. I'd be curious as to whether there was any difference between the valve Parts Bin sent you and the original one you removed.

Again, thank you for your patronage, and your overall recommendation.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT