Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:07:38 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: busdepot and thepartsbin going nose to nose

> When Consumer Report tested express delivery services a couple years ago, > they found that Express Mail (they didnt' look at Priority) was least > likely to be on time among USPS, UPS, Fedex, but also least likely to be > damaged. Fedex was both fastest and roughest in their test.

I suspect that USPS has addressed the "on time" issue with their Express Mail by increasing their guaranteed timeframe to some zip codes. Express Mail has always guaranteed either overnight or 2-day service, depending on the origin and destination zip codes. But recently I've noticed more 2-day rather than one-day guarantees when I've used Express Mail. It might just be coincidence related to the last few addresses I've mailed to, or perhaps they increased some areas from 1 day to 2. I've also noticed that it varies greatly from one post office to the next. A post office five minutes north of here has a one-day delivery time to some zip codes, whereas one five minutes south takes two days to the same zip codes.

I have found that the post office very rarely misses their guaranteed date, but when they do, sometimes it's by several days or a week, not just a day or so as with UPS. On the other hand, they deliver 7 days a week, 365 days a year. This includes Sundays and holidays at no extra charge. So overnight literally means overnight, not just "next working day" as with UPS and FedEx

Priority Mail, on the other hand, is not date-guaranteed at all. It is supposed to be 2-3 day delivery but often runs slightly longer. However, it is about the same price as UPS ground (on average) so you're not paying extra for it either.

As far as the breakage difference, I think it's mainly because the post office handles fewer large, heavy packages. There are simply fewer 100 pound boxes in the mail truck than in the UPS truck, so your fragile item has less of a chance of a heavy box being dropped on it.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT