Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Oct 2002 20:32:24 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Torque Wrench
Comments: To: "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

When working for an airline in Atlanta, GA, we called that approach using the SWAG Method combined with the calibrated wrist. Guys with a little arthritis in the wrist were the best, they got a double click every time.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

"G.M.Bulley" wrote: > > Mechanics develop what some jokingly call "torque arm" after some months > of using a torque wrench. You get a feel for what 25 lb/ft feels like > versus 8, versus 18 versus 80. If you get to the point in using a torque > wrench that you can set it to 2 lbs over, close your eyes, and tighten > the nut to the exact torque without it clicking, I'd say chunk your > torque wrench in the bottom of your tool box. > > Until then, I wouldn't do ANYTHING on a VW without a torque wrench. The > staggering mix of alloys, thread depths, thread pitches, and heat/cold > environments just makes torquing by intuition far too risky. Unless you > just like doing the Helicoil thing... > > Bringing your ideas to life, > G. Matthew Bulley > Bulley-Hewlett > Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com > AIM = IExplain4u > Phone: +1.919.658.1278 > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf > Of Marla Stelk > Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2002 11:30 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Torque Wrench > > So just how important is it really to use a torque wrench? A mechanic I > spoke to once said he never uses one for tune-ups. But the Bentley > tells you to use one for almost everything. I've got to take the top > off my thermostat - do I really need to go buy a torque wrench to put it > back on? The buggers are pretty expensive..... > > Thanks, > Marla > '87 Westy Van "Morrison"Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer > download : http://explorer.msn.com