Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:02:11 -0500
From:         Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MTS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled and Cold Weather

Well, I'm not quite in Whitehorse although I'm not sure that Whitehorse gets that much colder than Winnipeg!

My first bus was a 73 VW "Safare" conversion, I believe it was called. I was 19 and so afraid that my dad would flip out that I parked it at a friends house for two months until i got up the nerve to bring it home. Actually now I remember he saw me driving it. Oops.

That dog of a van started great in the winter, much better than my current 85 Westfalia GL. It would turn over quickly and fire right up. Twin carbs. The only problem was the carbs would freeze open a bit (well, not the carbs themselves but the rod that connected to the accelerator cable would stick). So I would pump the motor a couple of times and then run back to close them before i started the motor so the van didn't flood. My mom always laughed at that one.

It had an oil pan heater, same as I have in the 85. That helps a lot but I think it also helps that the battery is in the engine compartment, not up front like in Vanagons. And my dad's 79 Westfalia had two batteries, both in the rear. I don't know why VW discontinued that little feature. Would remove about 10% of all the stuff found in the archives I'm sure.

I also covered over the rear vents on the van to limit the frigid air being dumped on the engine. It would backfire like you wouldn't believe if I didn't do that.

The only stupid thing about that van was that the gas heater outlet was located in the rear. I would drive all by myself in the front seat while my passengers would sit in comfort in the back. Very discouraging. So I bought some PVC pipe and rigged up the heat to keep my driving foot warm. It sucked when I couldn't feel my feet anymore. Then in February the gas heater died. That was the end of the van for awhile. And gas heat really fogs up the windshield quickly. Couldn't understand why VW never put fans in their vehicles.

I've recently rescued a 69 Type III notchback. It's a great car, and I love the distinctive aircooled motor sound. I've got some old advertising for it, and one of the slogans is "Can't boil, can't freeze." How true it is.

The watercooled Westfalia has got to be the worst cold weather car I have ever experienced, in terms of starting. I hate it. It's one of the reasons I would buy an 80-82 Westfalia if I ever found one in good condition.

Sorry for the rambling. Trying to put off working on the thesis a little longer.

Jeff 85 Westfalia GL 69 Type III notchback

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2002 8:43 PM Subject: Aircooled and Cold Weather