Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:29:15 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New to the list.
Comments: To: mk1madness@HOTMAIL.COM

Welcome to the vanagon list Kenneth.

http://www.tiico.com/

That might be a good place to take a look if you're considering the conversion to I4. I currently have one in my '87 Syncro Westy and like it very much. I've only had the van for 2K and the engine has a little over 6K on it. No problems as yet. They have some exhaust vibration/resonance issues that may bother you and may degrade your exhaust system welds, but you'll be reading much more about that from others here. There appears to be a fix in the "fabricating" and I'll forward you the email given me by Ed, the man who has done this. I had a '91 Westy with the a/t and it was very strong and reliable. It had just over 100K when I sold it. Some of the threads here indicate use of engines with as much as 150 hp using the a/t without trouble, but I'm not any kind of expert there. The width of the floor is 50" and about that square. The bed takes up 15" of that when folded out, leaving about 35" between the bed end and the bulkhead or front of floor. I am only supposing but, a lift device likely attaches to the out and underside of the vehicle so would not impact this interior space, but the wheelchair would. The bed is easily folded down so your chair would have turning space if you entered with the bed in the "bench-seat" position. Just my $.02.

Best to you,

Bob Stevens

http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare