Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:28:37 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Westies at Watkins - Long Summary of our fun week-end
Comments: To: Syncro List <syncro@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: ralanen@aol.com, lavigneandre@hotmail.com,
          donald.a.brown@usa.xerox.com, larry_avery.johnson@sympatico.ca,
          gedge@sympatico.ca, alan@alanasmith.com, pokey@vanagon.com,
          shaverlubbers@hotmail.com, bhandy@rochester.rr.com,
          joycec@rochester.rr.com, eugene_w_melnyk@parsons.com

Westies at Watkins I have to write a quick summary of the fun we all had today at Watkins Glen International raceway. A group of us from Rochester, Pittsburgh, Ontario, and as far away as Quebec enjoyed an hour on the racetrack today in our Westies. The newest Westy was a 2002 VR6 EuroVan and the oldest were 1980 Vanagons 2.0L .

13 of us came out and camped at Watkins Glen State Park in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State to participate in the annual “Lap N’ Lunch” at the Glen put on by the Rochester VW club (Finger Lakes Region VW Club – FLRVWC).

We camped out the day before the races and enjoyed the wonderful Finger Lakes region of New York. The trees were not quite in full color and the remnants of hurricane Lilly only cause some wind and gray clouds but it did not stop our group from doing a great hike in the Watkins Glen State park exploring the glacial carvings and the deep gorges. Ice cream was the treat at the top of the trail. We returned to our camp, had lunch and packed in a couple of vans, headed out for some wine tasting along Seneca Lake. The discriminating palate of some was not quite satisfied so we will be in search of the best winery at next year’s event. Maybe we will try the eastern shore wineries?

On Sunday we packed up camp and caravanned to Gate #2 at the racetrack to meet up with the FLRVWC caravan coming from Rochester and some from Buffalo. We took some great pictures against the fall colors of the area with the sounds of Porsches and Cobras on the track. We lucked out it was a beautiful sunny day.

When the Porsche Club finally took their lunch break our group was allowed to go on the track following the Pace car. What a Hoot! A bunch of VW’s doing laps at Watkins Glen!

What a bigger Hoot – a bunch O’Westies doing laps and S curves with the dirty pots and pans slushing in the sink while Frank's Mt. Bike held on. Hope everyone’s pictures come out to share with the rest of the Vanagon community.

It only cost us the price of Lunch at the Glen = $15 or so.

Line up:

2002 EuroVan MV VR6

1997 EuroVan Westy VR6 (2)

1994 EuroVan Westy Diesel CL

1990 Vanagon Westy

1989 Vanagon Westy Syncro

1986 Vanagon Westy Syncro

1987 Vanagon Westy

1985 Vanagon Westy Wolfy + 912 Porsche

1984 Vanagon Westy (2)

1980 Vanagon Westy (2)

The Quebec Westy owners told me, “I am a tour guide and an ambassador for NY State” I used my French to translate and entertain our invited friends.

Plan on it for next year and join us in having a fun week-end in a prime area of New York state.

Thank you all for participating.

Thank you Joyce and the FLRVWC for organizing the events at the track.

Joel

89 Syncro Westy

Rochester, NY