Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:34:16 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge Fan ?
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU>

The fridge fan is completely independent of the fridge setting or whether the fridge is even on. It runs whenever the temp switch behind the fridge tells it to. If the sun is shining on the fridge side of the van it will often heat up the area behind the fridge enough for the fan to come on. This may seem strange but it was done this way for a reason.

If your fan comes on when the fridge is off and that side of the van is not in the sun then the temp switch is suspect. Is it the original one? The Fridgemate series of replacement fans come with a new temp switch that turns on at way too low of a temp for use in the stock temp switch location. If someone put one of these in to replace the stock one then that is your problem.

The second wire that you refer to is the wire that controls the relay for the 12 volt heater element in the fridge. It comes from the alternator warning LED circuit and only allows the fridge to run on 12 volts when the alternator is charging. This keeps the fridge from quickly running down the battery. The relay on your early model is screwed down on the top of the fridge. Later Westys have the relay under the driver's seat and have slightly different wiring for the kitchen equipment and 2 fuses behind the driver's seat. The newer Bentley shows only the later wiring but mislabels it as applying also the the 80,81 models which are in fact different.

Mark

Sean Garrett wrote: > > OK my fridge fan is perplexing me more... > the facts: > 1. 1981 Westy in process of restoration, phase 2 (running with interior > restore happening now). > 2. When it is cold at night (below 90 F) if I connect the fuse under the > drivers seat the fan does not come on no matter what setting the fridge is > on (gas, 12v, 120v). > 3. When it is hot during the day (above 90 F) the fan runs when I connect > the fuse under the drivers seat no matter what setting it is on (gas, 12v, > 120v). > 4. There is another wire (2 total) that is not fused (in line fuse > installed) under the drivers seat. It seems to have no effect on the > behavior above. 1 & 2 happen whether this wire is connected or not. > 5. The fridge does cool on 120v. I checked it briefly while I had the whole > cabinet out of the vehicle last January > 6. The fridge fan in the back was replaced when I did have it out with the > recommended replacement at camping world. > > Is it possible the thermo switch is bad but in a different way, that is to > say its "kick on" temperature is lower than it should be???? > > I want to try to figure the "whole" problem out before I pull the fridge. I > am think there may be another grounding issue I am not addressing. > > Sean Garrett > 1981 Westy (his) > 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) > sean.garrett@asu.edu > > "The person who would like to make his dreams come true must stay awake." > > -- Richard Wheeler