Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:29:56 -0500
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gasket ID?
Comments: To: "winniethepooh@ATTGLOBAL.NET" <winniethepooh@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Andrew writes: I need new gaskets for the ATF pan(4 bolts), the base of the dipstick = hose is leaking as well. I also need a Differential(Trans) Pan gasket (10 bolts on pan)

Jeff writes: The trans pan gasket is available from vanagain.com or your local VW dealer, part number 010 321 371B according to ETKA.

The dipstick base can usually be tightened to prevent leaks or remove the dipstick tube, take it to a plumbing supply house and get a suitable o-ring which can help prevent leaking at the tube base.

The differential pan gasket is NLA as far as I know (not listed on ETKA). I buy a roll of generic cork type gasket material and lay the pan on top of it tracing the pan outside diameter, then cut the cork/gasket shape out. From there. I usually cut the inside of the gasket at 1/2" inch from the outside to form the replacement gasket. Cost is about $5.00 a roll and you can make about 4 gaskets from a roll.

Tighten all bolts to torque specs evenly to prevent the pans from warping and leaking. I usually go around the pans and increment the torque 3 values...if the torque is 30 lbs, 10, 10 and final torque value. The diff pan can be a real pain to seal. Insure the pan is flat by placing it on a flat surface and shining a light behind the pan from where you view it. If it's warped, you can sometimes even it out using a hammer on a thin block of wood laid flat on a solid table. If it's real warped, get another.

A transmission gasket kit exits under part number 010 398 007B which includes trans oil pan gasket, oil strainer gasket, sealing washers and various other gaskets. I've never bought it but it's out there.

If you have any more questions, let me know

JB