Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:03:09 -0600
From:         westydriver <westydriver@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Anyone install a Generator?
Comments: To: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>

did a lot of info digging on gen sets a while back and got a pair of the little ones you see on ebay. nice little 1kw max 750 watt normal generators. most small generators are two stroke. this means they are not candidates for lp or straight gas feeds. the larger 4 strokers are just that. large and heavy. this makes them not very portable. add to these the weight of an lp system and that is way to heavy. to take a straight feed from your vehicle gas tank is something i wont recommend. way to many hazards.

if you plan to mount internally like on some rv, the gen set must be isolated from the pax areas by a fire shield and fuel systems must have cutoffs. exhaust must vent according to codes as well. remote start gen sets like some of the onan sets for rv are heavy, and expensive and installations in a westy would be impossible if you wanted to have any room left for you. honda makes some small and extremely quiet and extremely expensive gen sets. not good for conversions either. some notes on gen set safety. they vibrate like crazy, so check fuel hoses, fittings, carb fittings, after during and before each use. have an extinguisher handy whenever using a gen set. i just carry an empty 1 gal gas can, a couple of measured bottle of 2 stroke oil, each good for 1 gallon of mix, and a siphon hose. jimt On Tuesday, Oct 1, 2002, at 19:35 America/Denver, 80 Westy Pokey wrote: