Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:42:57 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L loss of power, stalling
Comments: To: Russell_Talbot@MONITOR.COM

Hi,

Replace the Temp2 sensor, if not done so already. It is cheap to replace, and more often than not, it is the culprit with temperature related loss of power, stalling, and difficulty to start when hot. This may not be it, but always start with the cheapest parts first, one at a time, when fixing by trial and error. Also, when I had this problem 10 years ago, it was intermittent. Tested OK in the shop, but failed unexpectedly. Finally a one car garage mechanic made the connection: Problem is temperature related, Temp2 sensor, BINGO. Put in a new Temp2 sensor, and like magic the van ran like new. It had no choice, because the dealers mechanics, with all their certificates on the wall, could not put two and two together. They replaced almost every part there was to replace, except the Temp2 sensor. Thank God for this List!

Alfred 85 Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russell Talbot" <Russell_Talbot@MONITOR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 5:35 PM Subject: Re: 1.9L loss of power, stalling

Hi list - I'm having problems that seem identical to what Kim is describing and would love to hear about possible solutions. I had a similar, but slightly different problem about a year ago when the car would lose power but never stall. While still trying to figure this out, the fuel pressure regulator died on me. At my mechanic's suggestion, I replaced the AFM at the same time I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. This solved my problems... for a while.

Recently the van has started to exhibit loss of power and random stalling in the way Kim described in her email (below). I replaced the fuel pump and filter in hopes that it was simply a fuel feed problem. It made things a bit better (I think my previous pump was having problems) but this didn't solve the problem.

I'm baffled. The mechanic I usually take the van to is baffled. The only thing he can think of is that maybe the ECU is shot. I'm sure that a shot ECU could cause these problems... but I'm not yet certain that it's the only thing that could cause them. Any suggestions from wise list members will be appreciated!

thanks Russell

by the way, my van only has the little plastic fuel filter between the tank and the pump. Is it supposed to have the bigger round filter downstream of the pump too???

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:52:00 -0500 From: K G <ppg1@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: 1.9L loss of power, stalling

Hi List, i am having troubles again...here are the symptoms. Loss of power, or like the van is getting no fuel sometimes. It has happened cruising the freeway at 75 mph, and sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn. It has happened about 5 times since on my drive back to MN from IL on sunday. The first time the van did this, it was sorta hot outside, cruising the freeway at 75mph, finally had to pull off the road, and i found the alternator to be loose in the mounting bracket, and I unplugged and replugged the TEMP II connection thinking that was the problem. Then it started up again and drove normally for another hour or so, then it started loosing power again. after wiggling wires around, it started up and we were back on the road again with no problems all the rest of the 7 hour drive back home, even getting stuck in some stopped traffic twice in WI. by this time it was cooler outside, and I noticed when we were sitting in traffic that the front radiator fan was running and cooling the van. and yesterday, after sitting in traffic and at stoplights in town, van decides to quit and not restart in the middle of an intersection for about 5 min, then it started right up. Let me know if I am on the right track here, the van seems to run normally until the temp needle is just barely over the top of the red light in the center of the temp guage. usually, the radiator fan comes on about then. so, I think my radiator fan is not coming on when it is supposed to. and If it is not that, is there a way to test the temp II? that one of the few parts on the van that has not been replaced in the 8 years I have owned it. or the OX sensor? replaced early spring of 2001. also new last spring plugs, cap, rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator. thanks for any ideas, Kim