Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:26:55 -0400
From:         Marla Stelk <mjstelk@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wierd cooling hose rigging

Hi volks,

Thank you everyone who sent me diagrams, etc. regarding the cooling system as I set out to change all my hoses. I came across some oddities with my van, however, that has thrown the guys at Bus Depot for a loop as well. The mysterious #9 hose (according to their diagram) has been found. However, mine is 38" while the standard for VW is evidently 26". Instead of going from the pipe on the drivers side to the driver's side of the rear heater, it passes over the transmission to the passenger's side. At that point, it connects to a "T" where a second hose goes from the top of the "T" disappears into the heater. Another hose connects to the opposite side of the "T" from the "9" hose and follows along with the cooling pipes up toward the radiator. They do not go into the radiator, however, from what I can see under the van. They seem to just go up and disappear....beyond the spare tire cavity. My number "8" hose from the coolant distributor T does the same thing. And my hose from the coolant distributor to the cylinder on the passenger side is a 130A hose not a 130B hose. According to Bus Depot, the 130A is normally used for 1.9L engines, not a 2.1L like mine. You can see where someone moved the coolant distributer T gadget from one hole on the firewall and installed it a bit to the left, so that the 130B hose, which, is very curvy will not fit on it now. Any ideas as to what I'm dealing with here or why my van is set up this way?

On a good note, my van is running really well these days. With new fuel injection lines, cooling hoses (mostly), thermostat, new distributor, rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires, alternator, oil pressure relief valve, oil change and filter, new air filter, new tranmission filter,..... what else..... a quart of MMO in the crankcase (I think I'll put some in the engine now too after reading Stan's piece on the Mobil 1 oil). The only thing is that now it takes a good while for it to warm up. But its even idling much smoother now. So thanks for all the advice and help along the way with all the improvements.

Peace, Marla '87 Westy Van "Morrison"Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com