Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:35:58 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wierd cooling hose rigging

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 08:26 AM, Marla Stelk wrote:

> Thank you everyone who sent me diagrams, etc. regarding the cooling > system as I set out to change all my hoses. I came across some > oddities with my van, however, that has thrown the guys at Bus Depot > for a loop as well. The mysterious #9 hose (according to their > diagram) has been found. However, mine is 38" while the standard for > VW is evidently 26". Instead of going from the pipe on the drivers > side to the driver's side of the rear heater, it passes over the > transmission to the passenger's side. At that point, it connects to a > "T" where a second hose goes from the top of the "T" disappears into > the heater. Another hose connects to the opposite side of the "T" > from the "9" hose and follows along with the cooling pipes up toward > the radiator. They do not go into the radiator, however, from what I > can see under the van. They seem to just go up and > disappear....beyond the spare tire cavity.

Sounds just like the plumbing on my 86 Syncro. The line going to the front goes to your front heat exchanger. My #9 hose came in contact with the drive shaft in the rear, requiring me to replace it. I used regular heater hose since I never could find the VW part. The regular heater hose doesn't have the nice curves (so it tends to be a bit restrictive in the flow of the coolant) but it does the job.