Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:26:33 -0400
From:         Ken Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking Head test....opinions needed
Comments: To: kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM

Kevin; At TDC the valves are closed, otherwise you will never pressurize the cylinder. I had to make sure it was in gear and hand brake on otherwise the engine will want to turn when the air is applied. Be careful with your hands getting caught in belts or what ever if it does!!! For an adapter I used a piece that came with my cylinder compression tester gauge. One end screwed right into the spark plug hole and the other end fastened to the air hose line. I hit it with max pressure (100+psi) and had to wait a few minutes to see a rise in the coolant pressure. I have a small gauge permanently installed in the engine compartment for trouble shooting. I guess this speaks of WBX confidence. ;-/

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab, 60 356 T-5 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:12:34 -0700 kevin obrien <kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM> writes: > Hello all: > > Continuing my epic overheating battle in my 2.1L > (suspecting a head leak).... > > I built a little gizmo to pump air into the spark plug > holes ( A Shrader Bicycle valve fitted to the threads > of a hollowed-out spark plug) My plan is to pump about > 60psi into each chamber (this procedure recommended by > a listee) and watch the Expansion Tank to see if it > bubbles. Ken Lewis also insisted the cylinder be at > TDC to do this. > > Does this sound like I'm doing it right? Please email > advice if I'm missing something. > > Also...how do I establish TDC??? > > Thanks! > kevindobrien@yahoo.com > > __________________________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos & More > http://faith.yahoo.com > >