Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:06:24 -0400
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Emergency fuel line repair

And not to be ornery, but I think it is a lesson in preventive maintenance. Since I don't have an '84, I have a hard time imagining how the throttle cable and the fuel lines came close together (on my 1982 they at a foot apart at the closest, but that's beside the point).

If one consistently checks everything under the hood, and if one verifies that everything is present, even the little cable ties and brackets that VW put on the car to keep one thing from rubbing against another, one finds the need for hauling a toolbar and a bunch of spares superfluous.

I do carry a couple feet of FI line, some utility wire (14g?), a pair of hose clamps, and a set of points/condenser in case the Pertronix dies when we are in the boonies. Other than that, I can't think of any "parts" we carry. The tradeoff? I do spend a fair amount of time under the van each week (in the safety and convenience of my own garage) checking "what rattled" and maintaining things.

Bringing your ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278