Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:21:48 -0400
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      ONE MORE TIME, was: Low Oil Pressure
Comments: To: craig@oda-inc.net

This is a NO BIG DEAL thing, which has been covered extensively in the archive, and depending on your model year, is even covered in your owner's manual. It is perfectly normal, no cause for alarm, and part of the enchantment that is VW.

If it really bugs you, get an oil pressure gauge. >$100. If it still bugs you, add some Motor Honey (I think the bottle says you can use up to 2 bottles in "Very Worn" engines, but use your best judgment).

The truth is, you can IDLE a VW flat four with absolutely no oil pressure for a really long time (like 30 minutes). If your oil is fresh, the viscosity alone can carry the bearing load of pushing and sucking the pistons back and forth, etc. at idle. HOWEVER, if you put an oil gauge on this thing, and it says .1 psi at idle and 10 psi at 2000 psi look at a new pump, then a rebuild...

Bringing your ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278