Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:13:24 -0400
From:         Dana Showers <dshowers@CPDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Video Display Question

I am a computer geek that is pretty good with predicting trends.

Don't give up on USB yet. I have noticed a ton of new USB 2.0 (480Mb/sec) devices that are at least as fast as Firewire (400Mb/sec). In my humble opinion, most notebooks will have USB 2.0+ in the future instead of Firewire. I base this opinion of two things: the fact that USB is cheaper for manufacturers and Firewire (Apple product) is slightly different than the IEEE standard. The standards difference is minimal but I have read that this sometimes causes some functionality to disappear when the device is installed on a Windows machine.

Off the topic... Take this idea in a home direction. PC with TV card, DVD drive; 5.1 surround; video output to a standard computer projector; sound output to a standard surround amp and speakers. I have this set up in my house. I don't have to buy a separate DVD player, Tivo digital recorder, or large screen TV. I also don't have a ton of living room space devoted to it. I can record TV, VHS to my hard drive. I don't have a way to copy DVD to VHS yet, but I may not want to. I have the projector displaying on a pull down screen that covers two windows. When I am not watching TV, I can look out the window. Being that I work from home, this is goodness. This also doesn't leave any walls conspicuously barren.

Dana '85 Westy with laptop DVD theater installed dshowers@cpds.net

Better would be a 1Gz P4 processor.

Also USB will always be somewhat limiting.

Just can't get a lot of data thru that pipeline.

A better approach might be Firewire.