Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:16:52 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Amazing List Success Story!! (longish)

Hi all.

I want to briefly tell you all about something amazing that happened, which really renewed my faith in people, and drove home the fact that the Vanagon list is truly a special and unique community.

Many people post their negative feedback to the list... It is important to also post positive feedback.

Here's the short version:

I live here in Salzburg Austria, Europe. A few months ago I carefully removed my A/C from my '87 Wolfsburg, and posted it to the German/Austrian Bus list. I was contacted by a guy in Vienna, just 3 hours away, who needed it... he is putting together a 1992 synchro from the bottom up, and has restored everything needed. But he was missing the A/C. He drove out to my place, and was really excited to receive everything for a great price (I would have had to toss it all in the trash if nobody had replied to my postings). The one missing link though was the rear side pillars, on the interior, left and right... the ones which hold up the huge A/C unit on the ceiling.

Anyway, he wanted to buy mine, but I could not give them to him (the interior would be trashed without those) so he got everything set up and connected on his bus, and for months, looked for these rear side pillars in Europe. No luck. (I think that they were actually still available at the dealer, but for over 500 bucks or something crazy).

The busses here did not have that interior very often, and the late model ones, which have the shoulder belt cutouts in them are super rare... so basically his whole restoration was on hold, until he could locate these panels.

I was helping him look around here, and then noticed a fellow list member was offering them for sale... in america. On a long shot I contacted him and asked him how much he wanted. The price was fantastic... and I told my pal in Vienna that we MAYBE could arrange to get the pillars from this guy in america (if he would agree to shipping them to Europe, and the extra hassle that this entails).

I sent several emails back and forth trying to make this thing work... as I knew that it was really stretching the "normal" expectations of the buyer/seller arangement... having these huge parts packed up, and finding a shipper that would ship them to Vienna, Austria.. etc.

Long story short... I emailed my father in Rochester, NY.. had him get a postal money order for the price of the pillars plus shipping... and sent it out. The pillars were then shipped... we waited a bit... and the pillars arrived in Vienna!!! They were in great shape and exactly as promised!!

Without the list and the super people, willing to go that extra kilometer for others... we never would have been able to get this deal done.

If I can get some photos of my friends synchro project.. I'll post them to the list.

Thanks again for all the great info, help, interest, and devotion that I find everytime I check in with the list.

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf