Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:43:24 -0700
From:         Steve Firebaugh <firebaugh@RAINCITY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Video Display Question

I'm a first time poster and have been following the list silently for a bit, amazed at the knowledge held by the group as a whole. I do not know much about the mechanical innards of Vanagons, but I do know a little about computers, especially Macs, and admit bias.

I would like to correct a common misconception. FireWire, which is also referred to as IEEE 1394 and i.LINK, was invented by Apple in the mid 1990's, remains an Apple technology, and IS the industry standard. It is in wide use by many digital peripheral companies, particularly Sony, Canon, JVC, Kodak and others, is the fastest available current standard in peripherals, and is very unlikely to disappear. Apple publishes the reference standards along with core source code available to peripheral and consumer electronics manufacturers. USB will see future generations of that technology, and improvements; so will Firewire. I would not give up on either one, but in its current incarnation, USB is just too slow for digital video.

The Mac is the dominant platform in graphics, video editing, and music editing. That technology is easy to use. It would NOT be a mistake to consider one for mobile digital media uses. Any currently selling Mac will be plenty fast enough. For my Westy (87 with new Tiico) theater, I personally use a Mac Titanium Powerbook with 15.2 inch screen, plugged into my Westy sound system via an in dash CD input. Movies look and sound great. If cost were no object, I could plug into a 23 inch Apple Cinema Display for which I am lusting.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

-Steve Firebaugh