Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:58:52 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: The Sounds of $$$ ? (longish)

I can only speak to the transmission issues. I got my 86 a bit over a year ago. It make all manner of strange noises in the tranny. Starting up cold and still in park, sometimes it makes a moaning cow sort of sound, sometimes more of a whine at a higher pitch that varies in pitch. That goes away as it warms up or gets its fluid circulating. It seems to have the most trouble with 2nd gear. Often when cold it will not even shift out of first. As it warms up, it shifts at lower and lower rpms. Even when warm it sometimes makes a horrible grunting grinding noise on that 1-2 shift. I let off the gas immediately when that happens. It actually seems to shift better if I am more aggressive on the gas pedal. It also sometimes does that symptom you described at the RR tracks.

I drained the fluid and changed the filter a while back. Found some metal shavings in the pan. Thin strips about 3 inches long.

I am biding my time since it doesn't seem to be getting any worse over the past year and 5000 miles or so. I got a spare trans recently which I may try to rebuild myself, or get rebuilt professionally, then swap it in.

Edward

At 10/9/02 06:50 AM, you wrote: >Our '91 Carat has been running splendidly for 6 or so mos now. LAtely I've >been driving it to work because the seating position is better for my >recently wrenched back. > >To the point: > >I noticed some unusual sounds coming ffrom the back when starting from stop >this afternoon. So minor I forgot about them when I got home. Then loaded >the family into the van to go for a walk at the park. Now I notice the >sound is louder - hard to describe, but reminds me of belts - only much >deeper. The sound goes away at ca. 20 mph. Go to a parking lot. put her >in neutral rev the engine. loud sound is gone - hmmm. auto tranny giving up >its ghost? Have the wife rev the engine while in neutral while I check >around back - definitley some "bearing-like" sounds that I'm not happy with >that occurr about 2500 rpm. Notice lft side head is wet. > >All fluid levels are fine. > >ATF level looks good > >Flushed and filled cooland system in JUly (Blue VW juice - had green stuuf >of unknown provinance from PO). > >Oil change in August (VW FIlter and Castrol 20W50) > >New Belts (all 3) in August. > >Drove her off and get the same loud sound (again like slipping belts, only >much deeper) from the dead start that goes away at 20-25 mph. Another >"symptom": I did notice that the tranny acted a bit odd today when I'd slow >down (approaching a rough RR xing) - but not stopping - I'd give gas to >accelerate and the engine revs and gas peddle feedback feel like the car is >in neutral for a second and then the tranny "grabs". > >So are the odds I can drive with a leaky head long-enough to recover from a >tranny rebuild? Or does it look like I'm into replacing the entire >driveline? > >Thanks in advance > >'91 Carat 112,000 miles