Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:47:39 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oli change question

I own two '87s, a Westfalia and a Mazda B2000 pickup. The Westy puts on ~ 5-6k per year, mostly summer vacations, trips and other highway miles. The pickup is driven when I need to run around town, or haul something. During the winter it takes me 1.5 miles to work when the roads are too slippery to bike comfortably. Probably 1.5-2.5k per year.

I change the Westy to 15-40 in October, and 20-50 in May. The pickup gets new 15-40 in the fall. It leads a hard life, but I own it specifically to spare the Westy from short trips and hauling dirty loads. I keep it tuned up, use good gas, and will replace it with another $1500 pickup when it gets too troublesome to maintain.

I love my Westy, the pickup is an appliance.

- Mike

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, David Brodbeck wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, G.M.Bulley wrote:

>Every 90-120 days. >BTW--That type of use is torture on a car. > >Why doesn't she just rent a car or take a cab when she needs it? Save > >$2k/year in tax, tag, insurance, etc.

That may make sense in her case. It was a good question for the list, though, because I suspect a lot of us have Vanagons that get similar use. You know, those of us who don't use our Vanagons as a daily driver, but instead for occasional road trips and camping.

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f@hotmail.com