Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:44:44 -0400
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Rare Occurance, Bulley on the roadside.

Today was interesting. I actually had some sort of motor problem on the road.

Honestly, I've been driving our Jetta Turbo Diesel for so long while our 1982 Westy had 'issues', I'd forgotten what it was like to have an ignition system. Further, since we had swapped out the ol' timey "points and contraption" bit from our distributor it has been a few years since I'd given the ignition set up much thought, other than new plugs from time to time, and clean-up of the cap/rotor.

After driving a few hundred miles to and from local towns, today was my first long highway trip in the Westfalia since our rebuild. My nail beds were finally clean, and I had a client meeting this morning in Cary, about 80 miles away. On mile #56 of the trip, she exhibited a vague bucking. Sickening to feel. Especially as we are prepping for camping/leaf-color season. I thought everything was *fixed*.

As I looked down at the speedometer, it dropped slowly, although my foot was headed toward the floor. 75...70.68..65..62..sh*t. Then it "fixed" itself, right back up to 75-80 like an arrow. had to let off the accelerator.

Overpass ahead. Pull under the protection of the bridge. NC was getting its first real rain since Andy Griffith was Sheriff, and I didn't want my starched shirt sullied or my tie puckered. So, with rain slicker on, out into the deluge I pottered. I checked everything, and everything checked out. This was tight, and so was that. None of this was leaking, and those were all firmly plugged in. everything in its place. Nothing smoking or dripping. Hmmm. Started up fine. Ran like a top. Gremlins.

So off I went. Mile #65.same bucking. 75, 70, 68, then fixed itself.. Then again. then fixed. Then it dawned on me. CRAP this thing has an ignition system!!!

Make a long story short, the weatherman made my day. As we got the first precipitation in months, I also got a reminder to swap out my plug wires, even though they only "technically" have 20k on them, they were beaten all to Hecht's during the motor-pull and rebuild, but I just wiped them clean, and re-intalled.

The tiny amount of air-borne spray that made it to the motor box (and it is truly almost nil, even in a downpour, because I replaced the surround seal, and it seals completely) was sufficient to allow a couple of HT leaks somewhere on the plug wires. It ran fine during the dry, and 99.9% of the time when damp, but heavy acceleration with wet wires, one of them arbitrarily went to ground rather than to the plug. I'll be out to the agent in the morning to round up another set of wires.

Just thought youze with old ignition wires ought to know about one set of symptoms. Bringing your ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com <http://bulley-hewlett.com/> AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278