Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:03:23 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: emergency fuel line repair (long)
Comments: To: vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. Right from the beginning 8 years ago when I got my 83 Westy I started carrying spare parts. I was pretty much Volkswagen Stupid at that time. I was running 10/30 motor oil for 70,000 miles and had no problems. Eventually I seized #4 piston hard enough to break some ring lands. Back to the emergency repairs: Most parts on my Air Cooled fail slowly, they give indication that they are going to fail. The fuel lines are one exception. Careful selection of the proper (domestic) Fuel Injection line and the OEM clamps if you can get them are added security against failure or fires. The reason I suggest OEM hose clamps is ............... the clamp should tighten down on the hose, but still have six or seven threads open when the clamp is fully securing the line. You don't have this indicator with the Ideal type screw clamps. Its hard to judge when your lines are getting soft. If you have OEM clamps and you can bring them to a full stop by running to the full closure, you need new fuel lines because the old ones have gone soft or you've got regular fuel lines and not FI line. I avoid fuel lines with braided covers because you can't see surface splits in the lines. Just as a matter of 'the rebuilding program' I installed all new rubber brake lines. I found that I could barely get a round toothpick into the old brake lines. The new lines had a full 1/8" inside diameter. Anytime you're driving a 20 year vehicle its best to address all parts as if they are about to fail and do the maintenance or replacement of parts involving safety (fire is included in safety). With 300,000 plus miles on my Westy I installed new rear wheel bearings, something I had forever avoided. I had a local truck stop break the axle nuts loose and I went home, installed the new bearings, then drove to the truck stop and had them re torque the axle nuts. The interesting thing I found was that although the axle housing contained plenty of grease, it had solidified and wasn't getting to the bearings. It was locked in its own little pockets throughout the axle housing. The bearings were slightly loose and beginning to show signs of heat (blue color). These bearings may have run another 50K but I doubt it. Since I've torn down about ten or more type IV engines I've discovered that the lower push rod covers catch oil. That isn't news; but I've found that they will hold substantial amounts of oil once they get enough oil and grit to seal them to the block and heater boxes. I've found evidence of fires in these covers, proven by the cooked oil and smoked up cylinder heads. These fires self extinguished or otherwise burned themselves out before they flash fired the engine. It has been my policy to clean my engine at the do-it-yourself car wash about three times a year. Then to prove my paranoia I drilled a couple of 3/8" inch holes in the lowest part of the push rod cover plates so oil from leaking push rod tubes could escape. It has taken me a long time to get everything right on my 83 Westy. Much of that time has been spent communicating with list members on petty problems and the bigger problems. I've picked up a lot of tips and tricks for the non-mechanic while learning the engine rebuilding from hands on and advice from some of the pro engine builders that seldom post to the list. Hopefully some of the little tips and tricks along with my opinions why they are necessary has helped a few list members.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: . > Sometimes you just gotta improvise! > Steve Sandlin