Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:03:48 -0700
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Battery Mfg. Warranty Charging Voltage

Funny we should be on the battery topic. My setup uses an optima yellowtop and a delco maintenance free group 41.

The Delco came highly recommended and although the first one I had lasted many years, this one with a mfg date of Feb 01 is failing.

I called Delco.

Talked with a rather snooty, IMO, fellow on their customer service line. I explained that the battery would not take a full charge using a trickle charger. He asked what kind of car it was in and foolishly I told him. He spouted that that was not the right battery for that car and no wonder it wouldn't hold a charge. After some further drivel I managed to learn how to tell when the battery was manufactured. I mentioned that the measured charging voltage was 14.2VDC at the battery terminals (inexpensive DVM) and asked what the recommended charging voltage was.

He said "it doesn't matter, that's the wrong battery for that car". Remember this is AC Delco Customer Service. I asked again, got a similar response. Then I asked about the 6Year Warranty noted on the battery itself. He said that they would not warranty the battery as it was the wrong one for the car. I hadn't mentioned the optima or the subaru alternator.

So caveat emptor for at least this particular knows-very-little poseur at Delco.

Would I buy another Delco, what do you think?

I seem to recall that a charging voltage of 14.2 or so should be sufficient to charge the battery over a long period of time. David mentioned that it might not be. I will measure the 2.5A trickle charger voltage today and see what that measurement is.

A call to a local Delco battery shop revealed that "the battery needs a fast charge to clean up the plates" eh? Why? "it gets rid of the sulfation"...I probably won't visit that shop either. IIRC the PBSOn doesn't go back into solution it just falls to the bottom of the case. But that may not be true either.

So at the end of the day, the maintenance free boogery is going to Battery Bill's for a test and possible replacement. BB has been in business since Hobbes discovered which way the electrons flow and I have worked with them before.

There was a thread on the bmw moto list involving a material whose name started with an "E" that was reputed to be able to delay sulfation. Might have been by the electronic carburettor folks or the multifire spark plug guys or the swirl induction gas saver ninnies, EDTA or something like that. I'll google around and see what I can learn about that too.

An old moto trick is to put a trickly charger on the light switch for the garage and hook the charger to the moto battery. Keeps it in better shape through the winter. BMW also sells a "Battery Tender" that in theory will keep the system up to snuff through the miracle of electronics. $75US or something like that.

cheers,

pensioner