Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:41:33 -0700
From:         Craig Oda's Personal email <craig@ODA-INC.NET>
Subject:      Rislone Ring Seal and Other Oil Pressure Thoughts

Well, I ordered a VDO oil pressure guage, dual sender and a few other components from BusDepot. I also bought this type 4 extender from CIP1 http://store.cip1.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=cali&Product_Code=VDO-150-752&Category_Code=20-05

It looks to be the same as for the vanagon engine because of the 10mm description. Well, I guess I'll know if it fits when it arrives.

While I'm waiting for the parts to arrive, I went under the van and tracked all my electrical wiring for the oil pressure switch. Looks solid and tight. I then drive over to the local hardware store to test the engine again. After 10 minutes, the oil pressure light starts flickering. The coolant temp guage looks fine, slightly below the center LED. I go into the hardware store and buy some Rislone's Ring Seal, since I figure I haven't got too much to lose at this point, might as well keep trying stuff. I put the Rislone Ring Seal into my Castrol GTX 20w50 oil and the flickering oil pressure light comes back on again after about 10 minutes.

But, I'm wodering if this Rislone stuff is compatible with the Castrol 20w50. I'm not too knowledgable about this type of thing. http://www.rislone.com/ringseal.htm

The previous owner of the van had an engine rebuild done about 70K miles ago. I'm thinking that I may have to change the bearings or something in the engine. Note that I've never done something this big before, so I am filled with worry and excitement. I did change the cylinder heads, myself, which was quite a frustrating and fun adventure.

I'm going to drive the beater volvo 240 I have to the zoo, but I would much rather be driving my Westy to the woods to kick back by a campfire.

I'm worried that I may actually have low oil pressure and may blow the engine.

For those of you new to this odyssey, here is where I'm at: - using Castrol GTX 20w50 with this Rislone Ring Seal viscosity increaser - changed oil pressure switch with a new one. - changed wiring for oil pressure switch and traced insulation - took out oil pressure relief valve and cleaned it - engine is not consuming oil - engine is not producing smoke - engine is leaking small amounts of oil under the van - oil pressure light comes on and flickers after 10 minutes of driving, usually only comes on briefly when I accelerate or decelerate or engine is under some type of load such as I'm going uphill - don't have oil temp sensor, but the coolant temp sensor shows engine temp to be within normal parameters

Well, off to the zoo.

thanks for the support as always. It makes me feel good to talk to understanding people about my van.

=====