Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:05:32 -0700
From:         "MacLachlan, Bill" <Bill.MacLachlan@CITY.BURNABY.BC.CA>
Subject:      I4 conversion; engine bay wiring; oil leaks

Two questions for the assembled wisdom of the list....

1) I'm wondering how other inline 4 (I4?) people have coped with engine bay wiring connections. The PO did the conversion on my 82 diesel; everything works but there are some electrical tape wiring splices that I'd like to make cleaner....and less embarrasing to look at! FLAPS don't seem to have obvious wiring connectors to do the job

The engine is a 1.8 jetta with CIS. Generally speaking, connections to be dealt with are

A) 8 gauge red wire from + battery to the fuse block....originally to the glow plug fuse & fuse block - difficult to find wiring connectors for this size wire....don't know why PO cut the wire... Suggestions?

B)power supply to coil from fuse block

C) power from fuse block to and , interconnections between cold start valve, thermo time switch etc. (there are about three or four wires all spliced together)

Does everyone else have these taped together?

2) I've got a pool of oil at the base of the original oil dipstick on the I4. Likely sources are dipstick/crankcase;oil cooler/crankcase; distributor/crankcase. But they all look pretty dry. Anyone have any experience of this/suggestions as to most likely spot for an oil leak?

I've been reading the list for the past couple of months, and a BIG THANKYOU to all who post...it's such a relief to find other people who have dealt with the same problems!!!!!!!

Bill M. '82 Jetta powered GL