Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:29:42 -0400
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 to 2.1 wbx swap questions
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>

Karl,

I finally got my 2.1 installed about a month ago, just two days before our planned trip from Phx to Vancouver - Hell of a test run; doncha think? I had purchased the engine from Damian Shaw (great guy, BTW) about a year earlier, but due to sime medical problems wasn't able to work on it for a while.

Anyway, I installed the entire 2.1 system - it just seemed to be the right thing to do. This way I have the most up-to-date system overall. Don't know if my judgment was right, but it's done!

Problems were relatively minor. The biggest I recall was the surprise that I had to replace the big plastic pipes, since they are different lengths for the new system. The dashpot for the charcoal cannister needs to be relocated outside the engine compartment (no room for the larger air cleaner). relocating the CPU inside the van required using a 2" hole saw and a threaded rivet gun for mounting the cover. I don't recall any other changes that were unexpected, and will report to you if I recall any. It was just a lot of work, since I had the tranny out and was replacing all of the fuel tank lines at the same time.

Final results: Better and smoother power and more torque (by seat-of-the- pants measurement). Seems to be quieter than the 1.9 (heavier exhaust components?). The 2.1 cooling system seems much easier to bleed, and the position of the thermostat housing has to be an improvement (the 1.9 t' housing is a bitch to get off if the bolts have corroded, and they usually have). If I had it to do over again (thank God I don't), I'd do it the same way.

Incidentally, I had a .77 4th gear installed during the tranny rebuild, and am not looking back on that one. My theory on 2.1l stretch bolt problems is that they are due in large part to long-term over-revving. I am now cruising quite comfortable at 3800-4000 rpm, while with the stock gearing I was regularly well over 4K (long flat desert drives).

Good luck,

Karl Wolz