Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:09:07 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Excessive Idle
Comments: To: Darren <dfazio@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Have you checked the engine rpm with the engine warm and the idle stabilizer valve disconnected? To get a grip on this common problem, that is where to start. Also check the rubber crankcase vent hose on top of the engine. Often this will rot from exposure to oil fumes and will get a tiny hole in it on the underside that is not obvious and that you cannot see. Routine replacement of the hose (every two years) is a good thing, and easy to do. Also suggest every two or three years on the fuel injection hoses as well, which of course, have no connection with any vacuum problem. Just fire prevention safety.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Darren wrote: > > My '87 is idling around 2000 rpm with the engine warm. The idle adj > screw is all the way in and I don't believe I have any vacuum or exhaust > leaks. A short list of parts already replaced include: ECU, AFM, ISV, > O2 sensor, temp II sensor, injector seals, and air filter. Also > replaced all ignition components: plugs, wires, distributor cap and > rotor. Any ideas on what I might be missing? > > Thanks, > Darren